which sub to get?

Kris B Krunch

I've just recently been trying to finish off my surround sound setup and I think I want to get a new sub as a local klipsch dealer is having some amazing deals going on right now, on not only subs, but plenty of the recently discontinued stuff.

Anyways, my system so far consists of:

Pioneer Elite VSX 80TXV that I just purchased about a week ago, and still havent properly setup because of working a lot, rescuing friends 4x4's and working on my Jeep. Anyways, here is a link: http://www.pioneerelectronics.ca/pna/product/detail/0,,32171715_32252773_327894164,00.html

Klipsch RF-15's, RC-25, synergy SS1's (purchased today for a really good deal, was hesitant to mix reference with synergy, but less than half the price and for rear speakers I don't know if I'd even be able to tell the difference, the front 3, I could, but not the rears)

And a somewhat decent old Infinity 8" powered sub. It's old, and doesn't quite seem to deliver enough punch or boom I'm looking for when watching action movies. And it seems to distort a bit when there is a lot of deep bass.

The store I've delt with has a really good deal on the KSW 10 (I can't seem to remember how much, just that it was in between $200 and $300), an amazing deal on the RW 8 of $299 CANADIAN, and a really amazing deal of $199 for a new in the box RW8, but the only catch is, it's the silver one, $100 more for the black one. Now, I'd prefer black over silver, but I'm not an idiot that cares that much over the colour to spend $100 more for the same thing. btw, haha, hope nobody takes offence to the idiot comment, it was directed at me anyways, lol, it's just I'm on a tight budget and only reason I'm considering getting a new sub is because of the great deals on now that I think might not be around when I'm ready. Now I know that the KSW 10 usually sells for much more, and the RW 8 usually sells in the $460ish range, so, some smoking deals going on by the looks of it at London Drugs, and I think it's only in Canada, but I could be wrong. They have a pretty decent audio video department, nothing I'd ever suspect from a store with a name like that.

The thing I'm not sure about is which sub is better for me. I've read the specs on the two, and it seems like the RW8 is the way to go, has a much more powerful amp, but I'm not sure if the KSW has an advantage because of being a 10" sub, that's why I thought I'd ask here.

And if I go for the RW-8, would it be possible to paint the thing black without ruining it or looking lame? It's just everything but my tv is black and I think it would stick out like a sore thumb. hmmm, guess I'd need to find a new grill too. Ahhh, or I could just hide it in a corner I guess and not give a crap over the colour.

Anyways, I know it's a long post, but I'd rather throw out all the info I can think of so that everyone has a good idea of what I got and what I'm looking for. Thanks in advance

Kris

I swear I wrote a reply to this thread, but saw your other reciever thread and thought I'd chime in again - maybe it got lost in internet voodoo.

Anyways, to sum it up...in those price ranges you might consider the Synergy Sub-12 (yes, the current Best Buy model). I am confident that it will both outperform any KSW and definetly the RW-8. It comes in a black cabinet with some silver streaks so not sure how that'll fit the decor.

And if there's one thing I've learned in this hobby, it's that there are ALWAYS good deals to be had. No need to rush or compromise a decision for the latest greatest price.

Thanks for the replie. Yeah, something must have happened in the internet voodoo, because I never got an email saying I had a replie, just happened to notice it had a replie.

anyways, thanks for the advice, I guess I was just worried I'd be missing a deal of a lifetime because I've been keeping an eye on klipsch subs and I've seen the prices hover around the $400-450 canadian mark for the last year or two.

Thanks for recomending that Synergy Sub 12, I hadn't even considered or seen that one for sale. And reading the specs, that thing sounds like it'll pound the snot out of the floors, hehe, that'll be awesome.

but just checked best buy, and yeah, still quite a bit of money. I think I'll just hang onto my infinity for now, even as it is, my system is total overkill for the tiny room I have it in now. So until I move into a new place, maybe I'll just keep watching for good deals.