Denon Dvd-1930

damonrpayne

I picked this up on Friday night and have spent a lot of quality time with it in the past three days. I think its safe to say that if you are looking for a sub $1k transport this one could be on your short list. For $349 its quite nice.

This thing has video up conversion to 1080p. My TV is only 1080i so I an only comment on that. It handles motion flawlessly but there did seem to be some color banding on scenes where there was extreme contrast plus a bright light source, such as a flashlight in a cave. Other than that I was happy with it. I did not have high expectations for turning 480p into 1080i. The most noticable improvements seemed to be on heavy-CG pieces like The Animatrix.

The sound is definately better which is not surprising. Without even doing an A/B with my old sony dvd player there is no question that imaging for vocals is improved, but I'll have to do more lisening to give more details.

I'll follow up with a formal review later.