Upgraded receiver: a new auditory experiance

Professor.Ham.Slap

I've been thinking about upgrading my 6 year old Pioneer VSX-D811S for a while now. When I went into work today I noticed sitting on a pallet of electronics a brand new receiver by Yamaha, the HTS-6090 (successor to my previous favorite, the 5990) which was supposed to be put on display until I snagged it. I figured what the heck, I'll give it a shot and if I don't like it, I can just bring it back and they'll use it as a shelf display and that will be that. After spending approximately 3 hours with it, I can firmly say they wouldn't be able to pry it out of my cold, dead hands.

First things first, the Yamaha has the ability to push out 120 watts RMS (I believe all channels driven) and handle a 4 ohm load (which is fantastic considering the resistance to frequency curve of the RF-7's). My Pioneer could only put out 100 watts with who only knows how many channels driven and never had the ability to drive the low end of my mains. The impact and overall clarity of my "new" setup is incredible. I actually feel like I have a completely brand new system. To ensure that it wasn't just me justifying my purchase, I had two friends with me, all of them also instantly spoke of the changes I noticed. Absolutely everything is more detailed with even less fluttering of the driver on complicated parts (and I thought Klipsch was fantastic before). Truthfully I couldn't be happier right now.

For your reference, here is how I'm running my system (rf-7's, rc-64, rs-7's, RSW-15): Mains: Large

Center: Small crossed over at 80 hz

Surround: Small crossed over at 80 hz

For those of you curious about the reciever, the specs aren't available on any site yet so I'll give you the important stats:

155wpc peak 8ohm

120wpc RMS 8ohm

HDMI upconversion from composite, S-video and component

Ability to pass 1080P through HDMI

2 zone control for independant listening rooms

XM radio ready.

This guy should be showing up on the Best Buy website within the next few days I'd assume.

I had a similar experience when I switched from my 10+ year old Sony dolby pro-logic receiver to my new Harman Kardon HK3480 2 channel receiver.

Immediate difference in clarity, smoothness, detail. I still haven't had a chance to blast it really loud, but so far what I've heard I've loved. All at a cost of $175!

I would imagine that in both our situations its a combination of a receiver that is more capable of driving the RF-7s and the fact that our old receivers probably have some pretty tired internals by now.