RC-64 Center Channel Furniture and/or Mounting

RPM

Hi all. I have a quick question. I've recently replaced my entire 5.1 system with RF-83s, RT-10d, and RC-64 and am having trouble finding furniture and/or mounts that will house the RC-64. It's a monster! At 33" wide, I have only found one TV cabinet/stand that will house such a beast.

Here's the stand in case you are wondering.

http://www.racksandstands.com/Plateau-SR-V-75-E-PT0087.html

If any of you out there have a RC-64, how did you place it? What furniture did you buy, or is it custom? Has anyone attempted mounting this puppy above the TV? HA! I had to ask. :)

Any info you have would be appreciated as I currently wheel the RC-64 out in front of the TV on a box-cart so I can enjoy the whole system. Thanks!

I have a sony sxrd60 with the sony tv stand. Cut out the brace for the top shelf slid the RC-64 speaker under the shelf. Shelf is still there and usable. I paid 500.00 for the stand cuting it at first botherd me a little, but it works fine. It just fit. But you cann't tilt the speaker do to the size. But the 64 is such a great speaker it didn't seem to matter.

You could try to find a wall mount TV stand. I use one made for a 27" tv for my RC-7, so I can still keep it above my DLP. Only problem is that the new RC-64 is a lot wider. Still, you might be able to find a wall mount meant for a larger tv. A bit of the speaker hanging over the side would be fine, but I wouldn't try to push it too much.

Otherwise, a shelf above your TV would be a good option. You could build one pretty cheap. If your not handy with that sort of thing, a lot of stores sell wall shelving. Ikea has a good selection. Either way, make sure the brackets & shelf can support the weight, and that the brackets are screwed into the studs.

• Like 1

I have the rf-83 but do not own the current rc64. I remember they had to do 4 6.5 inch woofers due to the height as many tv stands could not accomadate the height of the rc7 with 8 inch woofers. Now the length is the bigger problem.

I was contemplating it and if you have one of those flat panel screen with the screen on the wall I was thinking about going to home depot, buying some L joints that you use for bookshelves but turn them the opposite way so the bracket is hidden by the speaker, put them into the wall with sufficent anchors and then get a thin piece of glass or so and place it on the bracket and then put the rc64 on. This can be done with the rc-64 and not the rc-7 as the rc-7 is rear ported while the rc64 is sealed.

Wow. If I hadn't fallen in love with the RC-64 and it's partner RF-83s, I'd have to give in to the little lady and ditch the center. It sounds too darned good.

We spent most of the night going through every TV stand at www.racksandstands.com, and the only thing that met with "estrogen" approval would require a new TV. HA! No matter how much I want one, I have to pay for these Klipsch first.

All of your input has prompted me to lots of measuring and sketching of the possibilities. A stair-stepped half wall behind the TV is causing too much grief for a wall/shelf mount. The dang TV is too high for a 3-shelf system, given the built-in pedestal.

I think at this point, I'm going to exercise my rusty wood working skills this weekend and see what crazy thing I can slap together. If it works out, I'll have to charge the Ogrette for it. Otherwise, I'll order the stand above, but show her a different picture. Once it's in, she has to love it. Right? :)

Thanks again for your help.

Hey RPM, congrats on the new center channel. I also have the RC64 and love it myself. My solution is fairly cheap and may not be the highest on the estrogen approval factor, but I think it works great for the price I paid for it. I bought a bedside table from IKEA that cost $30...Here's a link for the table.

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?topcategoryId=15558&catalogId=10103&storeId=12&productId=11460&langId=-1&categoryId=15620&chosenPartNumber=95699507

The table is about 2 feet high and I used 2 sets of these...

http://www.auralex.com/sound_isolation_mopad/sound_isolation_mopad.asp

on top of the bedside table and the combination works quite well as a center channel stand. Now mind you that I have a front projector setup, so there is no "TV" to worry about. Your wife or girlfriend might be concerned with the clustered look of having a huge center channel like the RC64 w/ a big screen, but there really isn't many other options beside placing the center directly on top of the TV itself. One of these might work for your particular TV

http://www.lovanusa.com/index.php?cPath=1_39&osCsid=337bda4c9a52dd2e47e79ecb8d89bd16

If you want audiophile quality stuff, you might want to check out Soundanchor.com and contact them about making a custom made stand specifically for the RC64. Their stuff is a bit more expensive, but they cater to quite a few high end speaker companies like Aerial, B&W, Magnepan, M Logan, etc. I have used their center channel stand before and can vouch for the durability of the stand. Good luck with the search and let me know if you do find something because I do own the same center myself.

To Jay: I know that the RC64 is not a rear ported speaker, but I remember reading something about placing any speakers too close to a room boundary. The rule of thumb is not to put any speakers too close to a wall, like what you suggested because it will affect the acoustic performance of the speaker. When a speaker is further away from the wall, it will sound more airy and open up the soundstage more. This might be more applicable to stereo setup, but I'd still would like the best dialogue from my beloved RC64. If what I heard is true, placing it on a L-rack like you suggested would be even worst, because now you are coupling it to the wall itself. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I am pretty sure I've heard this from more than several audio buffs who have years of experience in high end audio.

Thanks, Blazemaster. I can't wait until the room is actually furnished. I'm sitting on a bean bag at the moment and can't sit there for long enough to enjoy tweaking the system.

The Mopads are now on my "must get" list. They might work great for isolating the center, while giving it a slight upward tilt. I only hope that I have room to do some isolation on the side of the center as well, and keep it from vibrating whatever stand I end up with. Thirty-three inches for a center sure makes furniture hunting an adventure.

It was funny to see you reference the Lovan USA site. I had to whine about cable management after she picked out exactly what she wanted. I am sure that I'm not done visiting that site. She'll see to that. :)

Thanks for the info.

Ooooh! Cable turtles, braided sleeving, cable ties oh my. :)

I've been out there quite some time ago, but never really looked close until now.

I have got to get some of those Cable Turtles. Thanks for reminding me about that site.