Connection of subwoofer

raybo1135

I recently purchased the Klipsch Synergy Powwered subwoofer Md sub10 along with C1 and S1 speakers for surround sound . Along with that I have the Sony STRDG500 Receiver,Sony RDRGX330 DVD Recorder and the Sony Bravia LCD Digital TV. Knowing nothing about audio,video connections but wanting to save a few dollars decided to do the connections myself. Silly me. My question is to do with the subwoofer. I notice there are High Level in and out speakers connections on the back along with low level LFE Output and left and right line inputs. I'm easliy confused. Do the main right /left front S1 speakers get connected to the back of the subwoofer? Or do I just connect the low level connections to the receiver and all the speakers to the receiver and no speakers to the back of the subwoofer. Totally out of league here. Worst of all I only have till Monday to run all my wires before the drywall goes up. In the mean time I have to figure out all the other connections like the cable box, TV, DVD Recorder , receiver etc. Woe is me. Can anyone simplify this for me without paying someone to run and hook everything up. [:$]

Connect all your speakers to the reciever's amplifier outputs - just like you normally would. For the subwoofer, your reciever should have an "LFE output", sometimes labelled "Subwoofer PreOut". This will then go into the LFE input on the back of the subwoofer, as indicated on page 4 of the manual:

post-10350-13819308212706_thumb.gif

Thank you for your quick response. If I have any other question or problems would you mind if I e-mail you. I still have the components to hook up to the receiver like the dvd recorder , TV cable box, Sony play station. There is one question is I have an S-vdeio connection is it better to use it plus the audio or to use the regular video connection. Thanks again Raybo1135 If you want I can send you my e-mail address. [:D]

I'd suggest you take a look at all of your manuals - they'll detail exactly how everything need sto be connected. That's why they write them [;)]

As far as video, S-Video is better than the normal video, but keep in mind that most recievers will output normal video and S-Video seperate from each other...so you'll need two video cables going to your TV and then you'll have to manually switch between the two video inputs on the TV - this can be a major headache. So for now I would just use the normal video connections and worry about doing S-Video in the future....and depending on your TV it's probably not going to make any noticeable difference anyway.

If you are using an S-video for your PlayStation I would seriously suggest getting the component video cable instead. With the TV you have you will see a HUGE difference in picture quality!!

Absolutely, any time you can use Component Video Cable, you must, so much nicer than S Video, but S Video is better than RCA...............Serious Quality in picture difference...

• 1 month later...

Could one not hook them up in parallel? Is there a problem with doing that?

I find that my Yamaha 5860 is really conservative setting the levels to the sub during feedback (auto) adjustment. This seems to be really nice for movies, but kind of boring for rock. Especially older rock recordings which haven't been remastered. Of course, I am too lazy to jockey the receiver myself to put the levels where I'd like them to be.

One person (I think) suggested running A speakers to the sub, and B right to the speakers, and just switching depending on what you're up for.

I have searched some, and haven't really been able to get to the bottom of this one.