Best KHorn tweak I've done yet!

steve

As much as I love my Klipschorns, the biggest complaint I've had is that I virtually have no volume control when playing CDs..on the volume scale from 1-10, I'm lucky to use 2..and the problem is that going from 0-2 is too low to too loud..it's a hair trigger! I never had that problem with LPs, but of course, the input voltage is a lot lower! That said, about 3 weeks ago I decided to try my Niles line level control between my CD (and a separate DVD player) player and my preamp. Let me digress first..years ago, when I first joined this BB, I had the same complaint. Someone suggested I get this box and put it between my preamp and amp..and I did, for about 6 months. I had more volume control, but it seemed like I was missing something. I don't know what..it just didn't sound right to me. Anyway, I took it out, and left it out. This was about 2001..

This time is so different..I also cannot explain it. The way I set it up was like this. I took an LP, and the same selection on CD, and switched back and forth, changing the attenuator on the Niles box, so the CD volume would match the LP volume, with the preamp volume in the same position. After I had that set, I listened to many CD selections, and was amazed at what I heard! Where the top end used to be too loud, and there was no bottom end, everything was now on an even keel. All instruments now sounded equal i.e. the bass, guitar, drums, etc. were matched! I now had a listenable volume control, using 0-6! I could gradually change things..what a revelation! I thought it was a fluke! I grabbed CD after CD, especially the ones I had written off as being "unlistenable" and was I surprised! They were actually quite good! What really came back, was the "toe tapping" factor! I forgot what equipment I was listening to, for the first time in years! I was just groovin' with the music, not caring what I had in the chain!

This happened to coincide with my loan of a digital amp, from our very own Leok. He sent it to me to see if the problem was with my 300B amps..and no, of course it wasn't! I actually had this Niles box revelation a day or two before I got Leo's loaner. I did put the loaner in the system to try it, and that's probably another thread, but I must say I don't think I could have picked one from the other in a blind test! Leo's amp was that good! I wrote Leo and explained my findings with the Niles box. He explained the (pleasant) sound I was now hearing with the Niles in place was probably due to various gain stages in my CD/preamp/amp audio chain. I wasn't getting the full bandwidth. The Niles certainly leveled the playing field!

Anyway, I didn't want to post my results until I was sure I wasn't fooling myself! I have listened intently now, for 3 solid weekends, 3 nights a weekend..and I have to say I've never been happier with my set up! I even threw the Bob Carver true sub back into the system, set the crossover at 45Hz, and it is all seamless! I have to say I am estatic! I feel like I have a whole new collection of music, everything is so "listenable"!

I know every purist out there is probably cringing..but I must say, I couldn't be happier!

Now I'm on my way to listen to some more tunes! Equipment be damned, I just want to hear the music!!

Steve

post-2159-13819308288462_thumb.jpg

Way to go Steve, amazing how alittle experimentation can change things. CD's have a different feel than Vinyl. NOT looking to start anything, just writing what I think, and I don't know how else to write it, So bear with me here. Vinyl always had a Warmer feel to them, than CD's, it's hard for me to put into the right words, CD's are almost mechanical sounding, but it changes with better CD players. I find less expensive CD players have that mechanical sound more often than not, as you go up the CD player ladder, the sound tends to smooth out, and becomes more pleasing, less blaring, and more Musical, if I may use that word. I can only imagine the sound on Khorns, they are so efficient that they must magnify every bad detail the recording presents it. Glad the line control worked for you, good point to know, thanks for sharing.............Enjoy the Music.....Without the Music, What's the point?...........