iTunes Upgrades

toddvj

Anybody check out the new iTunes 7? It has a pretty slick interface, including the option to view your CDs by cover art. You can actually flip through all your albums.

But the big news is that Apple is now selling movies on their website. I decided to check it out. I downloaded The English Patient. It cost me $9.99, it took about 40 minutes to download. The specs are 1.7GB, 640x344 resolution, 24 fps, 1500 avg. bitrate. The audio is 2 channel 128k.

I mainly wanted to see how quick it would download, how it would look on my iPod, etc. Tonight I checked out the movie on my 50" TV, and the PQ was very good with good clear artifact free picture, and nice bright colors. Sound quality was also good with nice clean dialog, and very good Dolby surround effects. I was very happy/surprised with the quality.

There are of course some issues, namely, that you have to play back the movie on a PC, and it has to be a fairly robust machine at that, but for those that already have a HTPC setup, it's definitely worth checking out.

Overall, though I can't see myself buying a lot of these movies, because even at $10-15 a pop, it still makes more sense to me to just get the DVD. However, if they could only start coming out with movies sooner (like within a week or two of release in theaters), I would definitely buy a lot more of the downloads. Maybe someday the industry will realize that they would make more money if they just opened this market up. I bet plenty of people would buy the download, then, if they liked the movie well enough, buy the disc when it comes out a couple months later.

All in all, these are pretty exiting times we are living in.

I did the upgrade.

Tried the carosel view of the cd art ( only 7000 songs) and it brought my 3.2 GHZ p4 with 2 gb of ram to a crawl. Guess it's time for a computer upgrade.

My computer is a lot less beefy than yours and it works ok. It was very slow for me the first time I used it as well. But now I have paged through every CD, replaced artwork that was missing, and it goes fine. The CPU meter spikes every time I switch CDs, but goes back down right away. (Not any worse than typing on the Klipsch forum).

iTunes has always been a real memory hog anyway.