JBL/UREI SR6630

Heideana

I just bought a JBL/UREI SR6630 power amp for $75 to use in my little recording studio to drive by KG 3's on a whim.

I googled it and learned it puts out 300wpc/4ohms and switching power supply. Does anyone know anything else about it and how good/bad it is? I thought for $75, I couldn't really go to wrong....

Wow...this baby weighs a lot...I hooked it up and it works! I plugged a mini-disc recorder into it and the KG 3's really sound much clearer and solid, compared to the Carver I was using. It puts out a good bit of warm air from the front vents...with the heat from the back vents on my recording computer, its' going to toasty...

I couldn't find the owner's manual on the web, but did find the technical manual from JBL's site for free ( it was for sale elsewhere...). If I'm reading the specs. right, this unit would be great and meets the Klipsch requirement for low distortion at low power levels.

Yeah, they're pretty clean. That old Urei stuff had some good engineering (and massive power supply) to it.

My 6260 has the transformer on one end, about takes one arm off when you lift it up.

Be careful with that and the KG3's. You have enough power to shoot voice coils across the room with that thing!

M

• 12 years later...

Urei was a separate company not part of QSC .Urei originated from Chicago then moved to California Bill Putnam eventually sold the rights of Urei to Jbl and Jbl continued to operate Jbl Urie and make the dual branded products 

These are an amazing amplifier and are very reliable I still use a dozen of these today in my business.

Edited by Djhuge
Spelling errors

20 minutes ago, Djhuge said:

Urei was a separate company not part of QSC .Urei originated from Chicago then moved to California Bill Putnam eventually sold the rights of Urei to Jbl and Jbl continued to operate Jbl Urie and make the dual branded products 

These are an amazing amplifier and are very reliable I still use a dozen of these today in my business.

Welcome to the Klipsch forums.  Pretty good Post #1.