Another tube question

dubai2000

Before you blow $500 on 300B's, you might try the rather highly thought of TianJin 300B's. The globe meshplate is $275/pair, and it has been extremely well received, many place it above current production WE ($900/pair).

I've heard these and they are excellent. There is an even cheaper 300B by the same guys, the coke bottle solid (non-meshplate). It is only $150/pair, and while not as sweet as the meshplate, it is still an excellent-sounding, well-built 300B tube.

Quite impressive to see these coming out of China. Most of the tube factories there do not have such a great reputation. Anyway, check these out. Be sure to get the TianJin, NOT the FullMusic tubes, as they have been specially matched & burned in. I believe diyhifisupply and bottlehead both have them.

Good luck.

------------------

"What's that noise?" "It's the carpet, it kinda mutes the speakers." "No, it sounded more like the chandalier falling."

wright_crop_247.jpg

Interesting you bring up the TJ Globe Meshplates... I just had an extensive audition of the TJ300B at the 2A3 operating point via my 2A3 Welborne Labs Moondogs and my friend's Wright Sound WLA 3.5 Monoblocks (see picture above of his amp with a TJ300b/2.5v Meshplate).

All this was done via my Linn LP-12/Rega Planet/Cary SLP-70 Modified tube preamp, amps above, DIYCable.com wire, and 1977 Cornwall I with Alnico mid/tweeter.

Remember, this is actually the TJ300B Meshplate at the 2.5v operating point which makes it a direct drop-in replacement for the 2A3, so the tube is not exactly the 300B.

I found the TJ Meshplates to have a very rich midrange with a slightly more detailed and forward character. In some ways, compared to the Sovtek 2A3, it appeared slightly more "thick" sounding yet also had more detail.

In the tube comparison (Sovtek, TJ300b/2.5v, RCA JAN CRC 2A3 VT95 Black Plates), the clear winner was the NOS RCA JAN CRC 2A3 VT95 Black Plates from 1944. These NOS bi-plates were so much more subtle and detailed, with a magical quality that was almost captivating, that it was almost as if one's body just melted as soon as they were inserted into the Wrights. The owner of the Wrights, who had previously fallen in love with his TJ Meshplates, first words were, "Well, I see what my next purchase will be...as in MONDAY!" In other words, the difference was NOT subtle.

I personally found the TJ tubes to sound a bit more diffuse through the Moondogs or the Wrights. They were musical and the top end had a light shinning down on it... but their forward nature was not as pleasing to my ears.

Of course, your opinions may vary.

kh

------------------

s y s t e m

Linn LP-12/Linn Basic Plus/Sumiko Blue Point

Rega Planet

Cary Audio SLP-70 w/Phono Modified

Creek OBH-12 Passive Preamp

Welborne Labs 2A3 Moondog Monoblocks

DIYCable Wire - Various

1977 Klipsch Cornwall I

Alternate Components:

EICO HF-81 - btw, perfect Cornwall match

ASUSA A-4 EL-34 UL

ProAc Mini-Towers

EICO HFT-90 Tube FM Tuner

Sumo Aurora Tuner

Nakamichi CR-7af>s>

Well, deftly avoiding the 300B/2A3 argument, I will say that since it's a 300B amp, and given the choice of 300B's available today, I'd go with the TJ mesh or even solid plates, over anything else.

Charlie G

------------------

"What's that noise?" "It's the carpet, it kinda mutes the speakers." "No, it sounded more like the chandalier falling."

Of course as a tube newbie I can't comment on the last two posts, but at least in terms of price the TJ mesh sounds rather interesting.

In my Cayin I have now NOS Lorenz 6DJ8 tubes which had bought for the Cayin tube DAC I traded in for the MCD 7007. The sound has certainly changed, but this might also be due to a mishap which cost me one of my 6SN7 tubes (I managed to break it while moving some equipment aroundRedface.gif) Luckily there is person in a neighbouring city who sells tubes (yes, from a slightly chaotic backyard shop). The tubes he sold me are supposedly some NOS from the US. On the box it says FE to identify the manufacturer. Well, these tubes might be absolut rubbish, but I didn't have a choice and wanted something FAST!

Anyway, the sound of my amp strikes me now not only as being slightly more forward, but also more transparent.

Still, these new tubes have to burn in first, so any evaluation would be totally premature at this point.

I am only glad that it wasn't a 300B which I broke, imagine those costs right after having bought the amp...Biggrin.gif

Wolfram

------------------

The latest survivor of the dangerous tube bug!

system:

1973 Khorns with ALK crossovers

REL Stadium II sub

Cayin 743 D integrated tube amp

McIntosh Mc 2105

McIntosh C 29

McIntosh MR 77

McIntosh MCD 7007

Thorens 520S

SME 3012-R

Ortofon SPU Classic GM E

Cyrus aEQ 7 phono stage with PSX-R power supply