THX Ultra2 System In-Wall Install

bobmurray

Hello Forum Members,

I am new to your forum, and I need advice on the home theater in my new home (now under construction). I have the above speaker system and wish to install the front 3 speakers and the 2 subs inset into the front wall of the theater (a 4' area behind the front wall is an equipment room. The interior demensions of the home theater room are 23'4" D x 16' W x 10' H, with 2 x 7" risers for a total of 3 rows of seating. I have considered an acoustically transparent screen, but would prefer a conventional Carada screen of about 110" with a projector.

My question is this: What would be the ideal positioning along the front wall for the speakers and the subs? Since I am literally building them into the wall, I will have little margin for error or opportunities to "tweak" the speaker locations.

Thanks,

Bob Murray

Do you have any form of acoustical consultant going into your setup? The build stage is the best time for implementing all the acoustical tricks. After the fact is a ton harder and a lot more expensive. Where are you located?

If you put your speakers below the screen (or behind the black boundary section) you will need to tip them up towards the top row of seating. The other option would be to go above the screen. The ideal placement will be where the vertical angle to the speakers is the smallest.

Once you pick a location you'll want the center channel centered firing straight out and ideally the mains would be at the same height and toed in slightly. You might want to consider implementing angled false walls for the mains to the side of the screen - I feel it adds a cool visual look to the room while being very good for acoustics.

And how many subs are you going with?

Here's a pic of my favorite looking configuration. Even in this overkill layout they still went with a transparent screen - definetly something to consider.

THXinwall.jpg

http://www.thesoundbroker.com/KlipschTHX.htm

• 1 month later...

I am installing an Ultra 2 system with 3 KL650s and two KW 120's. Due to space considerations, just couldn't get the columns to be large enough to house the KL/KS 525, so am planning on using the inwall KS/KL 7800s for surrounds/rears. I would like to install the speakers in the columns. How do I make sure my contractor builds sturdy enough structure for the columns and do they need to be in a box?

my first guess would be to say that they are intended for standard inwall use, therefore a cavity the same volume as a 14.5x 3.5x96" space would be ideal. I cannot say whether any additional volume would boost or hinder response.

It need not be a separate box, but I would go to the trouble to glue and screw any drywall in the vicinity to keep vibrations down.

M

• Klipsch Employees

Hey Bob.

Welcome to the forum.

I would suggest the front R&L to be installed with the horn about 1/3 up the side of the screen. My guess will be about 40 or so Inches off the floor.

the center just below the screen

What subs do you have. In wall or cabinet

IF you have inwall subs, then you do not have THX Ultra subs.

The ONLY THX U2 subs we build are the

KW-120-THX

I

I am in the process of finishing my basement and thinking about doing something very similar. I have the custom cabinet people coming out next week to discuss some configurations.

Here is the direction that I am leaning:

65" Mitsubishi Table Top DLP (HDTV WD65831)

I was thinking if I had 5 cabinets along the bottom, I could house the L,R, C and 2 subs built into the cabinet. I would be open to any advice or suggestions anyone can provide on this. One of my 9immediate concerns would be if this is a bad placement for the subs due to shaking the TV, etc.

Thanks in advance.

post-24409-1381931463311_thumb.jpg

Thanks

It is actually a pool table. The room needs to be multifunctional becasue we intend to use it frequently for entertaining.

I would probably consider a projecter configuration if it was a dedicated HT room; however the lights will probably frequently be on with the TV, so it probably wouldn't work for me in this circumsatance.

Also, the wife is not keen on the look of many of the HT installs (she likes in-wall speaker set ups, which we have in another room upstairs, but I want something better for the basement), My goal is to come up with a clean custom install that blends with the athstetics of our home.