Rear Speaker Placement

Deug

I am finishing a family room in which I am incorporating a home theater system. I plan on installing RS-3II for my rear speakers. In my

application we will have our main seating (large sectional) up tight against the rear wall of the room. I am wondering what my best

installation method for my rear speakers is.

If I use the normal installation and mount them flush on the rear wall pointing at the front wall, will the people sitting against the rear wall get the best sound?

One alternative I thought of is mounting on the ceiling about 4 feet from the back wall and pointing to the floor.

Another would be building brackets that would allow me to mount in the corner of the back wall and ceiling pointing the speakers towards the floor at 45 degrees or so.

My room won't allow side wall placement.

I know with WDST, placement isn't crucial, but wondering what everyone thinks.

Thanks for any feedback!!

Current Klipsch KG3.2 owner

Planned New System:

RF-5

RC-3II

RS-3II

Integra DTR 7.1

There is about a 60 degree dispersion (along the vertical) on the WDST design, so you must evaluate if the sound will pass over your head on the couch, based on the height and position you intend to place the RS-3's.

Angling them down is a fine option -- I've done that when mounted on side walls and it worked fine. In my current setup, I also have my couch along the back wall and cannot place my WDSTs on the side walls. So, they are mounted on the ceiling over the couch, oriented with the narrow end facing front, about the same distance apart as the front speakers are from each other. While not as great as having them on the side, slightly behind, 6-7 feet above the floor (ideal), it is certainly acceptable.

Doug

The best spot for listening is usually somewhere around mid-room to 3/5 back with the surrounds on the side walls. You'll have to experiment but I would think the best place might be the side walls a couple of feet or more from the back walls. The RS3s are angled on both sides so sound would be directed back towards the sofa. You could also pull a chair between them (the RS3s) to experience a situation closer to ideal, at least occasionally.

------------------

Soundog's HT Systems