Is it wise to use two different brand sub?

pwangdel

Greetings:

I currently have Denon AVR-4806 receiver, 5.1 JBL THX certified (HTPS-300 Sub, HT1F front & center, HT1D surround) and wonder if it is beneficial to add a different brand Sub such as RSW-12.

I also would like to add surround back speakers as well. Do I have to stick with the same brand or I can basically chose any brand as long as I have the same impedance that the AVR-4806 supports (i.e 8 or 6ohms)and same size speaker cones (3.9" ~ 10cm) as my JBL speakers.

Your comment and suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Most subs have more(irritating,boom) or less(almost to the point of being inaudible)coloration. You should match subs of the same caliber,and freq. extension.if not you will end up with anomalies impossible to correct unless some serious DSP is applied.

I use subs of many brands and price ranges,but run in tandem RSW series,then in another setup I use a Velo and Aerial.And yet in another Paradigm and Sunfire.These are well matched,calibrated and sit in positions that will not lead to nasty peaks or cancellations.As you can have two subs,two potent subs working against one another if bad choices are made.