Njoe Tjoeb 4000 vs. MSB Link III

cbr600

Has anyone ever done any A/B comparison with those two?

I've been testing MSB DAC for over a week. It does improve the sound but I am wondering tube CD player such as Tjoeb 4000 may be better?

I will have chance to listen to Antique Sound Lab Tube integrated AMP MG-SI 15DTS with my RF-7 this weekend. Has anyone tried tube amp with RF7?

Thanks

------------------

Klipsch RF7

Klipsch RC7

Klipsch RS7

Denon 3802

Acurus RL11

Acurus A200x3

MSB Link III DAC

AQ Slate Spr cables

This message has been edited by cbr600 on 11-21-2001 at 12:56 AM

First of all, I never owned or listened to any tube amp before. So the following comment is just my personal opinion.

Equipment:

Klipsch RF7, 102dB

MSB Link III DAC, Basic

ASL AMP MG-SI 15DTS, 5WPC triode mode

AQ Slate,AR Toslink and MIT interconnect cables

I first surprise is the hiss and hum I've been experienced with my current setup (Denon, Acurus)is gone. I am aware of the ground loop issue. I tried to get rid of it one time with ONLY Acurus Rll preamp, A200 amp, a cd player with toslink cable. Hiss and hum was reduced but still there so I decided to live with it.

OK, how does it sound?

Acurus preamp + Acurus AMP = very clean and detail sound. Unfortunately sounds too cold and bright for my taste.

Denon + Acucus AMP = great for movie. Does sounds warmer than Acurus preamp I have but lack of clarity and detail compared to Acurus preamp setup.

ASL Tube AMP = I don't know all of those words people use on audioreview.com. All I know is it does sound good. Better than previous two setup. It is definitely warmer than Acurus preamp + amp and has the clarity and detail I appreciate. I thought the bass must be an issue for this little 5W amp. To my second surprise, the bass is actually good. Of course, this is not shake your house kind of bass. For that, I would rather use sub. It does produce less bass compared to acurus 200W AMP. For anyone who likes a lot of bass, this amp probably won't do it.

As much as I like RF7 with its clarity and right on your face kind of sound. I always wonder if just if I can make it sounds warmer. Do I finally find the sound I am looking for? I don't know. There is always room for improvement. However, for a 5W integrated tube AMP under $700, I am sure impressed.

------------------

Klipsch RF7

Klipsch RC7

Klipsch RS7

Denon 3802

Acurus RL11

Acurus A200x3

MSB Link III DAC

AQ Slate Spr cables

This message has been edited by cbr600 on 11-22-2001 at 01:29 AM