Terminating RG6 coaxial cable with RCA fittings

Corvette6769

I recently paid $25.00 for a 500-foot reel of Siamese RG6 75-ohm coaxial cable with dual 18 AWG Solid Copper Center Conductors, 100% Bonded Foil shielding and 95% Braid shielding Swept-tested to 3.0GHz, to make my longer patch cables.

Now I need at least twenty 75 ohm RCA Plug connectors (like the Canare RCAP-C53), but am having trouble finding an inexpensive source for the connectors.

So far I see $2.50 each connector + shipping + the cost of a special crimp tool and die set if the three RG6 crimpers I already own are different.

Anyone know of suitable alternatives for terminating RG6 coaxial cable with RCA fittings that are more economical?

Partsexpress, 090-263 crimp on RCA plug for RG-59U, 45 cents

Difference between RG-59U and RG-6 is their max distance ratings. 1000ft for RG-59U and 1500ft for RG-6. The connectors will fit on one or the other.

The compression type fittings for 59 will not work for 6, the diameter and gauge of the center conductor differ greatly, moreso for the RCA since the center conductor has to slide into the center pin. The compresion ring for the 59 will not slide onto 6.

BTW it is the larger center conductor that allows longer runs of 6 over 59

Most electronics jobbers have them

The cable is about 4 ohms per 50 feet, which is not much when you look at the imput impedance of RCA type connections, tipcally 1000 ohms for power amps and 10,000 for line level devices.

• 2 weeks later...

This sounds like what I was asking about in this thread:

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/804997.aspx

I actually have RG6, not RG59, is there a similar end termination that fits 6 as well as 59? Or will the other one work if crimped tightly? I do have a RG cable crimper, a cheap one, but could probably borrow a good one if needed.

Still a lot of wire to run, but better/less expensive than the wireless setup in another thread.