What About Rear-Loaded Horns?

D-MAN

I would not be happy copying someone else's design. I have to do it all myself. I have to walk the full path or not take the journey at all. But that's just me.

It's not reinventing the wheel - it's making a NEW wheel that's never existed before!

JC, page 1, first post.

DM

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read throught this.

Maybe I missed it. Dana, which one is your rear loaded design?

Dukester. What is the external dimensions of the 18" scoop? You say it dies in the 40-50Hz?

my upscaled copies of the 4530 are roughly 22 wide X 30 deep X 40 high

yea, J.C. they drop off at 40-50hz ....

but ....

it's about the ...Punch ...

if your within 35' .... they'll make you sick ......[:D]

here's another challenge to make play smooth with kick - tough in this pic to see how small this coupler loaded with 8" is at ~21.5" tall. It probably could be a bit taller in hopes to lower the front chamber's coupled-cavity peak. kick on Billy Martin's drum holds pretty well vs the one on the left...

Posted Image

(Duke probably knows stuff about scoops - I've not had the pleasure)

Sieler's stubby horn-vent plans look good and Fig. 5 of his patent 2971598 is a single mouth about like RCA-Fan's little "hit-horn" Sieler mentioned the subjective source effect which is interesting.

http://gallery.audioasylum.com/cgi/gi.mpl?u=21168&f=HIT-HORN1.gif

http://gallery.audioasylum.com/cgi/gi.mpl?u=21168&f=CON-15.gif

For horn scoops, what is the criteria for a good woofer (18" and xover of up to 700hz if it matters)? My understanding is low Qts and high Fs (preferably Fs/Qts> 120) and low diaphram mass. Is that right, is there more?

For a rear-loaded application, a driver with an FS above the horns Fc, adding moving mass can be used to effectively raise the driver's Fs, and a rising response curve is recommended in direct contrast to the general driver requirements of a front-loaded horn. Moving mass would naturally be embodied in a heavier cone than might be desirable in a front-loaded application.

It is conceivable that the Qts of a rear-loaded heavy cone driver would be higher in light of the above differences, so I expect a lessening of the low Qts recommendation, however, it seems to me that good magnet control over the cone as represented by a low Qts (below .30) is always a good thing. I would go with a low Qts for that reason.

See this from Daniel Plach (of Jensen Manufacturing) attached...

DM

post-13458-13819311566898_thumb.jpg

I would guess that one would get better transient response from dual 15's vs a single 18.

Higher crossover point is possible in such a case, too. However, typical Fs of an 18 is generally lower, too.

Hmmmmmm... so much to think about.

DM

the 18"er kicks A$$ on the 2-15 scoop

the driver is the key ....2240

perhaps DJK can list some others .....

They arent truly horns but the rear loaded enclosures designed for Fostex FE103s that I built to house Radio Shack 40-1197 drivers surprised me beyond all expectation.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The single driver concept produces amazing imaging, while the rear horn enclosure produces useable bass at reasonable levels. Theyre perfect for listening to jazz ensembles, not so great for DSOTM or the like at live music levels.

As good as they are they wont stop me from using the BEC CW1526 s, CT125s and wooden trachorns Im building to build CornScalas or Khorn clones for that live music dynamic range that only true horns can provide.

• 2 weeks later...