Entech Number Cruncher 203.2

NetMagi

I use my PC for my listening source and since I got the RF-7's things have sounded almost sorta tinny and compressed. I knew I needed a better amp (see my other thread) but thought the DAC on my soundcard might be doing a crummy job too.

After reading some favorable reviews, I found a brand new Entech 203.2 on eBay (very cheaply) and it arrived today. I was hoping to clear up the tinniness and get rid of some of the low-level noise when i didn't have anything playing.

I got A LOT more than I bargained for. . . .

Either the DAC on my soundcard is TOTAL trash, or this Entech is solid gold. . because the A/B comparison is night and day. Everything is wider and clearer sounding. It's hard to explain.

Now I REALLY can't wait to get my new QSC PLX amp. . . I might never leave my listening room again.

Whoever said I should just hand over my wallet when i first joined the forums i SOOO entirely hate you for being. . well. . . . . . . right. :)

-Rich

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Are you using the number cruncher with your computer? desktop or laptop? How did you hook it up to your receiver? I was looking at getting one to use with my laptop but it looks like the 203.2 has a single digital input and the output from my computer is a small headphones jack that i use a cable with that converts it from the headphones style to two RCA jacks. Would this still be possible to use with the 203.2?

No, the Entech is a DAC- i.e. Digital to Analog Convertor. Thus it requires a digital input. As he mentions in his signature, he's using a Toslink (optical) connection. So, most likely he's using it with a desktop. The 1/8 inch connection that splits out to two RCAs is an analog connection.

For your situation, probably the best thing would be a USB driven device that gives you a digital output. I believe Harman Kardon makes one that can be found for just a few dollars (literally) on ebay. You could then run that digital connection into the Entech, and it will convert it to analog. Or, if you have a Home Theater receiver that has digital inputs, you wouldn't need the Entech at all, you could just run the digital input straight into the receiver. I am planning on getting one of those Harman Kardon units and doing just that with my desktop system.

-Jon