Hi-power Tube Power Amps???

Heideana

Speaking of big and expensive (not necessarily in that order):

www.tuberesearchlabs.com/products/gt800.htm

dref

Wow...lots to dream about, especial the 800 watt DreFrank posted, Wow!!!

If I'm reading Craig's note correctly, you've got some higher power amps that you're working on?

Max, are the Tsakiridis Electra's monoblocks? I don't think I've come across them in all my web surfing for KT-88 based amps...[:D]

The majority of above 75 watt tubes amps employ the use a 4 or more tubes per channel to reach the power levels. In my experience most of these amps sound like dung on klipsch speakers. They were built to power much less efficient speakers and sound like it. Of course I haven't heard them all but I have addition at least 6 to 8 here in my shop.

Craig

why not convert them to ...UltraLinear.....

since there's Watt's to burn ....

Because ultra linear has nothing to do with the number of tubes used. You could have 8 output tubes per channel and still be running them in ultra linear. The mode of output is not the problem.

Craig

Hey, Craig... do you generally find that push-pull parallel amps "sound like dung"?

There was a thread elsewhere on the Manley Stingray that got me to thinking about this -- These use 4 EL84's per channel PPP to get 50-ish watts (30 in triode mode, IIRC). Fine looking amplifier, but I am skeptical.

I know most single-ended gurus aren't too enamored of paralleling output tubes... I am much less clear on the consensus when it comes to push-pull.

Interestingly (?) I have a PPP EL84 stereo amp, although not a hi-fi one. It's a Peavey "Classic 50/50" PA/sound reinforcement amp.

An old friend and audio guy from the dawn of high fidelity used to aver that once you got past 75 watts, you started having to give away sound quality for power.

That said, the best sounding amp I've ever heard was the Audio Research D-160 - that is, when it wasn't crackling, humming, buzzing, smoking, flaming or otherwise extracting money from me. Sports car audio at its finest...

It's a Sound City 200 Plus. 200W, four kt88's. I've got two of 'em. One I converted into a Hiwatt 200 clone and the other needs work... Rob

Actually, now that I think about it, they'd make a great pair of 200 watt monoblocks. [:D]

Rob, You prolly did not know this, but it is illegal to have three vintage SVT stacks at once. If you want, I can pick one of them up this weekend, before they find out, and you get in trouble.[6]