Thorney Horney Questions

George Roland

Hi Guys,

I am finally getting around to trying my nice green Altec 511B horns with my Klipschorns, but I have a run into situation about which I need advice from some of you more experienced, knowledgeable tweakers.

My plan was to cut some rectangular frames from 3/4 inch plywood into which the horns would fit. These frames would go over the driver end and be set behind the flange on the horn. When I cut the frames out just now, I discovered that the mounting flange does not fit flush to the plywood, and that there are gaps of 1/16 to 1/8 inch between the flange and the plywood. I don't know what to do about this.

I planned to use 1/4"' machine bolts ca. 1 1/4" in length, with a washer on each side to bolt the flanges to the plywood. I am afraid if I crank down on them too hard, trying to get a tight fit, I will break something.

I don't think the horns were dropped or abused in any way. It just seems that they were not perfectly flat when created. Is that normal with these horns?

Is there some sort of gasket, foam or putty that is typically used to fill in such gaps?

Should I "shim out" between the plywood and the flange with washers or wood shims?

Should I just put the bolt in and crank 'em down?

In Altec Model 19's or VOTT speakers does the flange go on the front or back of the baffle?

Any sage advice is much appreciated.

Best,

George

LOL! I ran into the same problem. The flanges of the 511B

are curved. The bolts put it in strain when they pull it

flat. I can only assune the pre-stress affects it's tendancy to

ring. I hope it has a positive effect! The lips still ring,

so you'll want to add some rope caulk to them, at least.