External DAC

Heideana

What's the rest of your signal path? You looking for a dedicated 2-channel thing or multi-channel?

It's been a while since I've research the DAC market, but I would be inclined to pursue something more "professional grade" (like what they use in the studio). But it's all gonna depend on your source, amp, speakers and all that...

The DACs in most (decent) Home Theater components (w/ digital inputs) of the last few years blow away the stand-alone, big $$$ discrete component ones of years past. IMO, Rotel and Parasound represent the best (value) in entry level hi fidelity... others may also exist. They are always ($ reasonably) available on the used market, due to the (perceived?) upgrade bug. You can also pay whatever you are willing to spend, but they represent ~ 90% (or more) of the performance the best have to offer.

Another way to articulate this question is that I think I've been on a steady upgrade and pretty sure the DAC in my Squeezeboxes are better the the DAC in my old Sony CD player/Mini-disc recorder. Not sure where the DAC in my Digidesign Digi 002 or M-Audio Fast-Track Pro fall in this...it sounds like the DAC's in most HT pre-amps and receivers are probably pretty state of the art and a step above all these other DAC's for most practical situations.

I'm quickly realizing that I need to be able to switch between various digital inputs and top with a Peach and/or Merlin....A loose thought (like a lot of my thoughts...), a Merlin would be a good addition to my studio rig to add some warmth to digital multi-tracking and analogue tape-mastering, etc....and the Peach is perfect front end for hifi set-up with decent DAC and I'm kinda set for the moment...[8-|] Sometimes I kinda slow....