Biamping, how much power?

Coytee

My 2102 has meters and my solid state on the LF doesn't.

I'm trying to get a feel for how much power is being used or more accurately, how much power I might want to provide the HF to be sure it has enough.

If the 2102 meters (realizing they're not 100% accurate) say I'm peaking at let's say 10 watts, then what might be a decent "rule of thumb" for me to think the LF is using?

(seems to me it depends on what I'm listening to, yada yada yada..., so let's put all that aside just for fun)

If the HF is using 10, would the LF be using 10 or maybe more like 30?

I've got one of those fancy HP amp meters thingys that Al K told me about... Might I presume I could use THAT to see what kind of voltage is hitting each output and if so, calculate the answer back to watts?

"If the 2102 meters (realizing they're not 100% accurate) say I'm peaking at let's say 10 watts, then what might be a decent "rule of thumb" for me to think the LF is using?"

What is the sensitivity of the bass bin and what is the sensitivity of the HF driver? How much boost are you adding on the HF driver to account for the CD horn?

"I've got one of those fancy HP amp meters thingys that Al K told me about... Might I presume I could use THAT to see what kind of voltage is hitting each output and if so, calculate the answer back to watts?"

Yes, that would be a better way to go.

As a point of reference

In my setup my L/R subs have around 1200w max per channel on them. They are run from below 80hz.

From 80-500hz the LaScala bass horns have 30w amps on them.

From 500-8kHz the 288/805s (around 110dB/w/m and no need for CD EQ boost) have amps with about 9w on them.

From 8K+ the 2404s have amps with about 9w on them.

Shawn

According to RoyBoy, the overall sensativity of the Jubilee is 108/109 with 109 being with an active by dodging the passive "insertion loss" as I think he said.

Roy said the LF bin had about 108 db and the HF was about 112 db

"Might I presume I could use THAT to see what kind of voltage is hitting each output and if so, calculate the answer back to watts?"

Yes, but.

You will need to download some test tones from one of the internet sites. These tones are wav files at different frequencies. If you have a test CD of some type, that will also work.

In determining power usiing the method you discribed, the key point is to determine what frequency you can safely yest at. For example, it is safe to test for 40 watts at 100hz, but may be unsafe testing for 12 watts at 5khz. You need to consider the power handling ability of your drivers.

So lets go with a 100hz signal. You will need a volt meter. If you run the 100hz test tone and adust the volume until you get 10 volts ac, assuming you have 4 ohm impedance woofers, your power would be 40 watts (v X r = p).

It is difficult to do this with program music (normal music) since the durations of the voltag peaks are short. Also, if your using a ditigal voltmeter you would be measuring peak voltages, but if you were using an anolog voltmeter (regular needle and dial type), you would be indicating average power, whic is about 33% less than indicated.

And my system...

Crown XTi-1000 - 1000W to DIY 2x15" Push/Pull sub - 50Hz and below.

Technics SU-8089 integrated - 115W to the Klipsch K-33 woofers and Cornwall cabinet - 50Hz to 600Hz.

Crown D-75A - 30W to the Altec 902-8B/511B horn - 600Hz to 20kHz.

At full tilt the XTi-1000 will sometimes flicker the -10dB Signal LEDs (maybe a few hundred watts??), the Technics amp will peak between 5-7 watts, and the Signal LEDs on the D-75A will stay on almost constant.

I have seen the "Clip" LEDs light up once or twice on the XTi amp, so I know I have at least put nearly full power into the sub, I'm sure the meter on the Technics isn't very accurate so give it a watt or two in either direction. And I highly doubt I have even put a full watt into the 902s.

In the end, it all really depends on your listening habbits. If you listen at "normal" levels, then 30 watts or less may be all you need on the K-33s. The top end will only require a fraction of that.

Better get some ferrofluid in those mids and tweeters if your going to walk the line on the coil max power spec's.

an once is about 15 bucks, enough for about 20 drivers.

my system .....

500 w Bass ... 800 hz .........K-2

110 w Mids 800 - 5000 ...Com-tech

30 w Highs ...........D-75/2

sometimes, the IOC lite will come on ... the Com-Tech

OK

The Dukester wins the power war!

Not that I care, but how do you figure when I have 1000W for bass and 115W for mids?

my system .....

500 w Bass ... 800 hz .........K-2

110 w Mids 800 - 5000 ...Com-tech

30 w Highs ...........D-75/2

sometimes, the IOC lite will come on ... the Com-Tech

OK

The Dukester wins the power war!

Not that I care, but how do you figure when I have 1000W for bass and 115W for mids?

I was looking at it from a different perspective. The power he has on tap with that K2 is astounding. We are talking that thing is in the range of 2500 watts bridged whereas my measly little QSC only is 2450 watts bridged[;)]

Just messin with the Dukester[:D]

Looks like you got a nice rig going there yourself Chops!

Actually.......

SFogg .........

has got the Watt's......[:)]

Duke,

That is running the same amp as you. A K2 runs my L/ R subs. Each sub has (2) 4 ohm JBLs in parallel so they are a 2 ohm load which the K2 puts out around 1200w into per channel.

The other K2 runs my Contrabass on one channel (about a 3 ohm load 1000w or so from the K2) and the other channel runs 14 Bass Shakers which are wired to around a 2 ohm load as well.

Shawn

Actually.......

SFogg .........

has got the Watt's......[:)]

Duke,

That is running the same amp as you. A K2 runs my L/ R subs. Each sub has (2) 4 ohm JBLs in parallel so they are a 2 ohm load which the K2 puts out around 1200w into per channel.

The other K2 runs my Contrabass on one channel (about a 3 ohm load 1000w or so from the K2) and the other channel runs 14 Bass Shakers which are wired to around a 2 ohm load as well.

Shawn

I Take it all back Duke. You are right SFogg has the watts!