New THX-2 System .. which amp?

zzzzzmd

Hi! New to this and have a general question ... I have recently purchased the THX 2 system as pictured on the website ( except substituting KL-7800 in the rear as a compromise to the wife! ) My friends at work who enjoy spending my money are trying to talk me into purchasing one of the Sunfire 400W X 7 amps. Looking over the spec sheets this is clearly in excess of what they are rated for but my "friends" seem to think this presents little problem for the Klipsch if not played at the limits of the amp!! HELP!!

Andrew

Its always better to have 'too many' watts than too few. You'll have more headroom and power for dynamics with the amp you're considering. You will probably go deaf before you damage your THX Klipsch speakers due to input wattage. [;)]

Welcome to the forum!!! We always enjoy helping a new member spend his hard earned cash.

I run dual Sunfire amps on Rx-7 series speakers. One amp is 625x2 while the other is 405x5. There is little chance that I will clip my speakers. Dynamics are excellent.

The current Sunfire amps have a -118 db S/N ratio while older amps were a -103 db S/N ratio. The lower wattage Sunfires have a 3 db lower S/N ratio.

Klipsch speakers benefit from the excellent signal to noise ratio. Excess power never hurts in an action movie. Not enough power may ruin speakers due to clipping or degrade sound quality. If you are listening at .2 watt and a 20 db transient comes along, you need 200 watts for a very brief period. Excess headroom is a safety factor for your speakers.

Bill

Welcome to the forum.

We like to spend your money too, so I'll recommend four of the Crown K2 amplifiers:

http://www.crownaudio.com/amp_htm/k.htm

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Crown-K2-Power-Amp?sku=481506

By far the best sounding amp ever made - the freaken insane output capability (with no fan) just happens to be a pleasant by product [;)]

On a more serious note, the Sunfire amps are good sounding. I personally find Aragon to be one notch higher, but you'll have to resort to the used market.