Name some good subs for 400 or less in the used market.

wheelman

I'm looking for a great sub actually for that kind of dough if it's possible. I want it to be musical first, and have descent punch for movies. I was thinking of finding an RSW 10, because I think the ten would be tight sounding, but I may beable to score a SVS pb10-nsd for close to the same amount new. Not sure which is a better sub there. I wouldn't mind looking for some other brands as well. Some advice on some descent brands would be nice. If anyone has any I would appreciate it.

RSW10(not the newer d)is very punchy and "musical",however below 30Hz...not much lives down there.Does very well with small sats and can be cut at 80Hz.

SVS's pb10-NSD,yes it is the low end of the SVS lineup,has good to 20Hz,and below with room gain.A sub best cut 40-60Hz.

Well my current Nakamichi receiver only crossovers at 80hz. I usually don't keep receivers for a long extended period of time. So who know's how long I will actually own it. I purchased it exclusively for music first that would do surround duty's, and be within my budget. My room is aproximately 22 foot wide by 12 foot depth. I sit so the the front wall ( entertainment system) is on one of the long walls. I probally sit close to two thirds the width into the room, but close to half way if that makes sense. I have my current Athena sub near a corner ( sort of close to the sofa if your on the end of it) which isn't a bad sub at all. In my brothers home I heard it sound incredible. In my room it seems musical, but not enough punch. I'm currently running Heresy II's which i've been borrowing for a year or so. I will eventually have to go back to my SF-2's which are a good speaker in my books. Especially for the size because I sit rather close to my entertainment system. I think it can seem a tad bid overkill with to large of speakers ( not always, but most the time in my room).

I really don't care for a sub that will be the size of a small freezer ( unless it's a looker). Some sub brands i've got in mind are. If you can add to the list that would be great ( brand, model number ext..). I'm not sure about all models just looking for now. I could add to the list as I look. Patience is a virtue.

Paradigm

Polk audio- ( scary since i've blown 4 or 5 from crutchfield before, but i liked the sound)

velodyne- f1000 ( seen a few used at a pretty low price)

B&W- maybe an asw 600-650

Mirage

M&K

Klipsch- rsw10 ( really like to get this, but I can't find to many people talking about it)

SVS- 10nsd ( I would buy this new, well probally B stock, The dimensions are somewhat holding me back on this one. I'm kind of picky about that especially for a ten inch woofer)

I can score a new Bob Carver designed 10" subwoofer for 499+ 18.10 shipping. Over what I want to spend though, but if it's an incredible deal let me know. I do like the minimalist look of it.

Looking into some Rel's,Martan Logans', avantgarde, legacy audio, really anything used if the price is right i'm on it. It doesnt' hurt to look [:D]

I have a feeling it's going to be VERY hard to beat what I got 'musically'. To bad I wouldnt get squat for mine on the used market. I may just have to save up for a more expensive one. Still though i'm sure there are alot of used one's out there that are better. As for the orb I doubt it would keep up with my Athena.

Looking back at your list,the Sunfire D10 would fit the bill,gets out of the way.Never boomy and will dig very deep.

Very similar to a Carver KS 10" I have,same design(almost).Only a no go if you have a large room and like to blast your ears clean.In this case no subs in the list will do miracles,the Velo SPL1000 has slightly more output not more sound quality.

Paradigm,nothing interesting unless you can find a PW2200 or the more compact PW2100,two great subs.HSU's STF2 is a good choice and the smallest5 SVS.This group of subs is ported and will produce higher SPL (in the audible range)than the sealed subs.Placement is more critical for a good transition or disapearing act.

Legacy and Marting Logan...forger about it,a mere $400 is not enough.Again I may be wrong as some owner may be strapped for cash and sell low.Who knows.

Looking back at your list,the Sunfire D10 would fit the bill,gets out of the way.Never boomy and will dig very deep.

Very similar to a Carver KS 10" I have,same design(almost).Only a no go if you have a large room and like to blast your ears clean.In this case no subs in the list will do miracles,the Velo SPL1000 has slightly more output not more sound quality.

Paradigm,nothing interesting unless you can find a PW2200 or the more compact PW2100,two great subs.HSU's STF2 is a good choice and the smallest5 SVS.This group of subs is ported and will produce higher SPL (in the audible range)than the sealed subs.Placement is more critical for a good transition or disapearing act.

Legacy and Marting Logan...forger about it,a mere $400 is not enough.Again I may be wrong as some owner may be strapped for cash and sell low.Who knows.

Thanks i'm still looking and could be for sometime. I did find out that I could get a RSW 10 for the same price as a sunfire D10. Not sure what the dif is there, but i'm gonna look for more deals. I'm also eyeing the Martin Logan 'Grotto' i'm not sure how it performs, but it sure looks neat.

Well I got a Bob Carver dominator 10 coming. I can play with it for a month to see if I like it ( no questioned asked return). I figured these things are flying fast, because of a lawsuit and there may never be anymore available. I figured I better at least try it ( so I wouldn't be thinking what if?). I talked to one salesmen who didn't have any stock, and couldn't get anymore. He told me he wishes he would of got one when they were available at their discounted price. He told me the dollar per watt was incredible. I ended up calling another place and they had it. I really didn't want to spend that kind of money ( 521.31 shipped UPS, 2 less if you like Fed Ex), but they normallly went for 800 and now they are getting next to impossible to buy new. So any good movies to test it out? Hopefully this teeny little box will sound good. After hearing what the salesmen said, and The Ear oking it sealed the deal. I can always return it if it's not what I want. I just "may" have an Athena sub for sale ( the better looking more 'musical' front firing last generation one), but we'll see.

wheelman,

Good purchase. Now from one Sunfire owner to another,congrats.

The Sunfire D10 and Dominator 10 are one and the same BTW. I have a D8 and it is very very impressive,with placement and ..what else room gain you would be looking if my larger subs are not working! Well I have a D8 and D12 [:P] And a Carver KS,the first sealed sub Bob Carver designed before the Sunfire Solitaire. [:D]

The first thing to do when you get one is to find an optimal spot for your new sub,beware the magnetic structure being quite huge it creates a powerful magnetic filed.In a donut pattern around the magnet.

Make sure it is placed at least 3-4 feet awat from a CRT TV and angled whn closer so the magnetic field does not interfere with a CRT.If you have no CRT TV,you have not much to worry about.

Place the sub faning your sitting position against the wall you face when sitting.Best wall is a wall with no roors or openings. 6-10" from the wall,out of the corner 1m.From there move the sub and experiment.

Sunfire subs and small sealed subs will gain alot from careful placement.You can get very impressive depth and output when making the correct placement choices.

TheEar,

Thanks for the congrats hopefully they don't mind being somewhat closer to a corner. I hope I made the right choice there is alot out there to choose from in this price range, and all rooms and musical taste vary. Returning them all would eventually pay for one so trying them all out isn't practical for me. The Sunfire d10, SVS pb10, Klipsch rsw 10 were the three highest on my list. I grabbed the Sunfire before there were none to be had, and it was high on the list. By the way nice stack of sunfires. I'm glad to hear that they are very impressive subs. 1000 watt RMS,2000 watts Peak, man my electric bill will probally go through the roof. [:D]

What are your thoughts on building your own?

I've got a killer design that I'm using in a subwoofer workshop I'm

teaching on campus. It's using a 12" Assassin from Ascendant audio in a

3.5 cubic foot sonotube enclosure tuned to 20Hz. With the 250W amp from

Rythmik Audio and custom built-in EQ, it will do 118dB in room +-3dB

from 20Hz to 200Hz and only costs $300. [H]

I looked up all the other subs in your price range and it looks like

this will go about 6dB louder than the loudest one, and goes just as

deep as the deepest one. Let me know if you want more info. The only downside is its bigger than all the rest.

It can be down or side-firing (I prefer side) and you can always build a box around the tube if you so desired. The advantage is that no bracing is necessary - even when cranking insane SPL's the cardboard walls don't flex at all. [:o] I didn't believe it until I tried it for the first time last week.

It can be down or side-firing (I prefer side) and you can always build a box around the tube if you so desired. The advantage is that no bracing is necessary - even when cranking insane SPL's the cardboard walls don't flex at all. [:o] I didn't believe it until I tried it for the first time last week.

Sounds very cool I don't know if my home could take it.[:)] Hey have you ever used an auralex subdude? I'm thinking about checking one out.

no, I haven't.

I don't quite understand the purpose of it either...I would be more inclined to couple the sub to the floor than to decouple it. [*-)]

Yes I thought the same thing at first. Then I thought it may be good for a purer tone, or clarity in the bass notes. But for hometheater you probally would want to couple it to the floor. For clarity in music it may be good. I don't know I never tried it.

I can't believe this thread went 2 pages without even seeing one recommendation for the Sub-10 or 12.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

if there is anything new or used that can beat the Sub-12 for 500 dollars, let me see it...

The sub-12 destroys the RSW-10 RW-12 and RW-12d. More motor, more port area more volume, end of story.

• Like 1