What equipment do I need?

spacelord2002

I'm running an AdCom GFA 545 2 power amp and an AdCom GFP 555 2 pre amp with a pair of Cornwalls and a pair of Heresy speakers. I'm thinking of going surround and have no idea what piece of equipment I would need to switch. I don't want to give up the AdCom, Klipsch pairing and only want to add on to what is existing. Big bucks are not an option I want to go with.

Dave

For AC-3 surround sound using 5 speakers all you would need is to "add" an AC-3 decoder that includes the additional channels as well as the amplification channels. This is a cheap way to go, but not DTS 5.1 or any of the 7.1 standards. Onkyo makes a decoder that has the addtional channel amps built in.....I think the model numbers is es-600.

For DTS 5.1 or any of the 7.1 configs, you would spend less by getting a surround sound reciever. That would mean your Adcom stuff would be retired.

Exception being is if you pick up something used like a TX-DS989 or TX-DS939 which has jumpers ot use your amps. But htese recievers put out 130 watts per channel...not sure what your adcoms put out.

Recomendation....keep it simple...get a decent reciever that has all the channels and decoder built in.

Good answer. If you plan on a 5.1 (or greater) receiver, look for a receiver with pre-outs and then you can run the Adcom amp off the pre-outs for the front 2 speakers as long as no center channel is being used.

If you plan to add a center channel, it may be difficult to get the center receiver channel to match the Adcom amp. It may be better to use a speaker selector and the Adcom for stereo only or retire the Adcom to a location with stereo only configuration.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />