What Surrounds for Weird Room Layout (advice needed)

pstonge

I am changing my approach to seeking advise on the setting up of my room for Home Theater. I have posted here and other places and have received many great suggestions. However, none of these suggestions works with the configuration (albeit strange) of my room.

My new approach is to decide where the surround speakers will go and ask for help as to what speakers I should purchase, how high to hang them, and in what direction they should face. I am hopeful that being more straightforward in my request will be more effective for those of you patient souls who have tried to help me.

Please take a look at the attached diagram and let me know whether I should seek monopole,bipole, or dipole surrounds. The speakers will have to be mounted to the wall or the ceiling and will be directly to the sides and over the bed as the bed is flush to the wall.

I look forward to your suggestions! :)

Thanks in advance.

layout.xls.pdf

You are correct on all counts! :)

"Aha! An honest man" said Diogenes.... Get rid of it all, put a couple "in wall/ceilings" on either side of the mirror on the ceiling (we must now assume that is there, along wth the strobe and black light...[6]); couple of Heresy's on stands with rollers at point blank range on either side of the bed[;)],... just to get some presence in the performance (yours or the music, be shall not go there...[li]); and lest you overlook the option, and seeing as you've got some unused wall space, sell off everything you own and get a couple of Jubilees and put the keg in between for those few breaks for breath you might get.....[<:o)][:D][ip]

PS: Given the conditions of operation, get rid of the TV, it's a distraction[;)]; move the amps over to the side of the bed so you don't have to ruin your moments...,[A] and think about a keg tap extension hose, and lest we forget, a small fridge for champagne (and iced mugs) next to the bed.....[D]. Contact Sam Adams about a contract, it will save you a bundle on those pesky trips for refills....

Seriously, you need to look at Dr. Who's posts regarding similar questions regarding acoustics, posts by mas, particularly the thread regarding small room vs large room acoustics. and go through the threads in the "Architectural"section of the Forum. The room configuration, size, etc. are going to be the key to both placement, or how you will actually "hear" the music, and which surrounds you select. Two approaches... Overkill or the "terminator" approach (it's fun, but not efficient...), or think it through and consider how the sound gets to the "sweet spot".

Later, gotta' run, grab a cold one, lay on AC/DC's Dirty Deed's Done Dirt Cheap, turn on all 6 amps, the 3 pairs of K'horns, the LaScala's and the 4 pairs of Heresy's in the 12 x 12 room.... Just kidding... the room's 24 x 16....

Seriously, you need to look at Dr. Who's posts regarding similar questions regarding acoustics, posts by mas, particularly the thread regarding small room vs large room acoustics. and go through the threads in the "Architectural"section of the Forum. The room configuration, size, etc. are going to be the key to both placement, or how you will actually "hear" the music, and which surrounds you select. Two approaches... Overkill or the "terminator" approach (it's fun, but not efficient...), or think it through and consider how the sound gets to the "sweet spot".

Later, gotta' run, grab a cold one, lay on AC/DC's Dirty Deed's Done Dirt Cheap, turn on all 6 amps, the 3 pairs of K'horns, the LaScala's and the 4 pairs of Heresy's in the 12 x 12 room.... Just kidding... the room's 24 x 16....

Second

Second attempt

Second attempt to

Any reason in particular you're going with "surround sound" instead of a just a basic 2-channel setup?

If you draw a line between your listening position and center channel and listening position and left channel you're going to notice that they're practically overlapping. A center channel with this configuration is going to be of no benefit - so you could save yourself some money and not go with a center.