Didn't need subwoofer w/cornwall 3's

link

I purchased the Klipsch RT 12D subwoofer and also own a pair of Cornwall 3's. When all is engaged, the subwoofer does nothing to enhance the bass. I have to fool my receiver and tell it that my front speakers are small and then I get the bass.

Did I make a mistake by buying this subwoofer? Maybe I don't need it with the cornwalls?

Please help!!

• Like 1

The RT-12d will reach down to 20Hz with very very usable output,the Cornwall's have poor output below 30Hz(I am generous here).

There is something strange here.

Do you have a receiver with variable crossover points? If so limit the Cornwall's at 50Hz and let the RT-12d take over from 50Hz and below.Or You can set the crossover point at a very low 40Hz.

In the worst case where the crossover is a fixed 80hz,leave the fronts on FULL RANGE(LARGE) and set the sub to LFE+R/L LF. Set the gain on the sub to 8/10 and then play with the receiver's gain,once you are sitting right where you will listen.

The only way this sub will not enhance is if you listen to music with little bass,or lacking deep bass at all. And almost neveruse for HT.

Some recievers won't output to the LFE when listening in direct mode. You'll have to tell it to go into a "stereo" mode or something similar to get it to output to the sub while the mains are set to large. I would wager that you own a yamaha reciever? If you could provide us with the make and model, we can probably help you hunt through the manual to figure it out.

Also, for the sake of troubleshooting, make sure the subwoofer is in "on" and not any "auto on" mode.

Yes the advice to leave the subwoofer ON is a good one,make sure it gets signal and the level and phase are adjusted properly. The phase should be adjusted first,this is best done with crossover set to max freq.on the sub,this way it overlaps the mains and if there is cancellation you can hear it right away on almost any material.

Along with what Michael says......it may just be that you have your sub/receiver adjusted properly such that the sub ISN'T doing anything due to the types of music you're listening to. In fact, you just might have it integrated as it should be such that it is only "there" when it needs to be.

When properly setup/integrated, a subwoofer should act as just an extension of the mains and not be some kind of lone wolf speaker doing it's own thing. Does that make sense? I mean, the transition from mains to sub should be so smooth that the only time you notice it is when you turn the sub off and there seems to be a little bit something extra missing.

Of course, the exception to this is TheEar whose main function is to periodically calibrate the seismic sensors of the USGS in North America. LMAO...... [:D]

Tom

As you so eloqently stated, I read the manuel and changed the cross over frequency from 80Hz to 50Hz......I also moved the subwoofer away from the Cornwalls and it sounds a lot better. When watching movies, I change the setting to small for the fronts on my receiver and really pick up the bass. Appreciate everyones help.

• Like 1