Advice on Adding Components

HBJ

I have a pair of KG4s that I bought in 86. I have decided to build a home theater system around them and would appreciate some advice on components to add. I am not an audiophile and have quite a bit of hearing loss in one ear, so value is more important than perfect sound. I have a Kenwood VR-505 receiver that I will use, but do not have a sub-woofer, center speaker, or surround speakers. What are some recommendations for these pieces? Also, assuming I would buy them one at a time, which should I look for first; center speaker, then sub-woofer, then surrounds? Or a different order? Thanks in advance.

Do a search of the forums (see the Search link at the top of the main forum page) on KG4, and you'll get several hits. There has been some discussion on this very topic pretty recently.

The KG4s do pretty well with bass, so I'd make the sub your last purchase. Check your receiver -- it if will operate in surround mode without a center channel, get the rear speakers first. The two fronts will be used by the receiver to create a "phantom" center speaker which will sound almost as if there is a speaker in the middle (equal signal out of both left and right speakers, so your ear does not differentiate). By getting the surrounds now, you'll get a big boost to the whole home theater experience. Then, add a center channel later. (There are some folks, I think, who feel that a phantom center channel is the PERFECT center channel speaker because it is guaranteed to match the tone of the left/right speakers.)

Doug

------------------

My System