Good.......to good

brennyE

IMO subwoofers as they are at the moment (cone sweeping back and forth) is a very ineffiecient way to play sub 25hz (or so) material. I meen c'mon if you wanted a sub to play down to 10hz flat with no gain, you would need a MONSTER woofer, probably multiple monster woofers, huge watts to EQ this things with and last but not least the box would have to be huuuge! so when you think about it, 5hz is an octave lower than 10hz so that it requires 4 times the excursion to play at the same level! I think for home theatre in the end something will be designed (like the LF fan but more practical) just to do verrry low stuff.

DARKSIDE: I agree with you that approx 100db at 5hz would be impossible with that driver! The driver cant move enough air, and the resistance would be so high at 5hz (with an FS of 34hz from memory) it wouldnt stand a chance.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I dunno, a single 18 in a 20 cubic foot box tuned to 10Hz with a little EQ and accounting for a few non-linearities should do 120dB at 10Hz with 3000W - totally ignoring room gain. Get rid of the EQ and count on room-gain and that turns into 120dB at 10Hz with 300W.

post-10350-13819317974448_thumb.gif

McCauley and EAW have been doing it for a while now too...it's not unheard of, just rare because it's so flippin expensive to achieve the SPL required without screwing up the polar response (you can't just make a huge array of drivers). Also, the lower you go, the more power you need because the efficiency goes down...and that means something insane like a rack full of macrotechs with hardcore dedicated 220V lines.

How I would love four or eight of these badboys:
http://www.eaw.com/products/BH822e.html

BH822e.jpg

But at around $3k each, I think it will be a while...

why big peavey towers??? why not??? I am moving to the perfect place to play alot of music, very loud (note the party sub project) we are going to have 6acres to mess around with and our family throws alot of parties (me included).......and the fact tht the peaveys are priced right!

lol haha they dont sound that bad at all! sure not in the way that "oh wow these speakers are so revealing" and "wow I have never heard that in this song before" but do you really think I am getting these speakers for sound quality. I can listen to semi descent sound without tearing my hair out and running for the klipsch.

HAHA nice, or you could try and find some Klipsch Pro speakers.. Mebe???

Oh,
btw, I'm not sure if they're available to you, but the JBL SR series
sound really good for PA speakers, specifically the SR4726A full range
with the SR4715A subwoofer off Crown power, very nice, very loud, very
good.

out harmanizing the world, eh? [+o(]

But seriously, the JBL SR series is extremely nice. But isn't it going to be much more expensive than the Peavey gear. Another alternative would be the Mackie Self-Powered speakers (or their passive counterparts). I noticed you're in Australia so I don't know what all y'all got down there, but Peavey would be one of the last brands on my list at all price points. You like building stuff, so perhaps you might wanna build your own PA speakers?