Good.......to good

brennyE

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My old man has planted the idea in my head that I get the FUSION subwoofer reconed and replace the voice coil (apparently this only costs about 1/3 of the value of the sub) becasue when it was working it hammered really well......just had some reliability isues! If I do get it reconed I think I might put it back in a sealed box or port the box I have now to a lower frequency to protect the cone more. Then I could wire it in series (8ohm load) and put the 30hz filter back in place. With all these safty measures I reckon the sub might just hold out. (especially if I go abit easier on the volume)

The alignment you have right now looks pretty good - with your 30Hz filter, tuning lower actually won't protect the driver more (because of the excursion peak above the tuning frequency). If anything, tune it a bit higher - and keep off that volume control. [:P]

lol yeh the volume control is probably the part i really gotta look out for!

And cheapo fusion or not, when this things was in a box tuned to 28hz (quite high!) and getting that much power, it hammered very hard. No matter what brand name, big surface area and excursion capabilities = more bass!

Meh, I gots a Kicker sub in a box tuned to 60hz. It kicks butt

too, especially in a small car like a Ford Mustang....But yeah, I'm

sure you could pull the cone out yourself and have a repair shop put a

new one in without anything else, or you could try and keep the old

VC/cone/spider assembly if whoever repairs the thing will let

you....pics would be fun. Besides, its enjoyable to pull apart a

speaker. I pulled a blown Infinity 8" IMG woofer apart (out of a

Sterling SS2004) and was intrigued to find dampening under the spider,

I guess to reduce backwaves off the spider itself. Very surprising. You

never know what might be found....

Lol damping under the spider eh? lol it's always good to know that your money goes towards quality [:P]

60hz in a car is pretty much ideal for a car as under around 60hz in most cars you get a 12db each octave you drop in frequency. In a room on the other hand a 60hz cut off sub would sound very very nasty (even for someone like me that isn't very picky) the 28hz tune for the FUSION was pretty high for my room! I defiantly believe that the kicker would destroy in a car tuned like that! Car audio is very, very fun because alot of people get into it, spend lots of money but don't have any know how at all (except for brands) like how my friend has 2 10" subs in his car in a properly tuned enclosure, that crushes other peoples bass systems that cost a lot more and use a lot more surface area. There is even a cr with 2 15" subs that drives around town (Holden wagon) that cannot stand up to his 2 10"s......namely because the 2 15"s are mounted in huge leaky sealed box.

I also want ahead and emailed the car audio company that sold me the sub. I may yet get a refund/replacement. Any one got any technical issues that I can bring up in an email to help fight my case against mis guiding power handling figures? I'm sure im not the only one sick of subwoofers using 2.5" to 3" VC's and claiming mind numbing power figures that are just not possible.

You could always crank up the volume to where you had it and then record the voltage going into the amp - then workout some math to show what the voltage on the output was and calculate the power draw at that level. Mention that you should have been able to put X volts into the amp when you only put in Y volts. X volts corresponds to 600W output where Y volts only corresponds to Z watts output. Then you can mention the enclosure side, the filter you were using, and demonstrate that it shouldn't have exceed Xmax.

However, if in your research you discover that you actually overdrove the system *cough cough*, then I would just take it as an expensive lesson.

Btw, you typically want to go with 4th order bandpass and sealed enclosure in the car, that way the natural rolloff of the sub matches the room gain of the cabin. Ported subs drop off at 18-24dB octave depending on the alignment. You probably also want to put a notch filter in front of the amp to take 6dB or so out at the cabin resonance of the vehicle - nothing more annoying than a one-note wonder.

brenny: Is destroy a good thing?

Doc: I have a friend who has
the kicker built dual 12 comp box, but from what I've heard, it is a
one note wonder. Not so with my kicker. I'll look into putting the
notch filter on it, except i don't know the cabin resonance of the
msutang....