Another SW-12 AMP Failure

reads

Hi Guys

I was searching the forums and this seems to be a common occurance with the AMP in the SW-12.

I was getting a humming sound from the sub (not the 3prong adaptor issue). The hum got louder and louder.

We lost power in the house one day, and the sub gave a very very loud 60HZ hum after the power came back on. I had to shut it off because it would not quiet down.

Is there a common failure or issue with the original SW-12 amps? Is it a specific component(s) and or cold solder issue?

I hate to give up on this sub!

Thanks guys!

-Scott

• 2 weeks later...

scott i have a sw15II that sounds like it was doing the same thing it hummed all the time i removed the amp and resoldered all the connections on every thing and it has been working great good luck scott ps the solder gets weak over time and the vibration lossens the solder joints Brien

The SW series has been around for 10 + years now, I rarely get calls on them.

The amp was rated at 150 nom, 189 peak. Take a look at Parts Express sub amp with adj. eq. Bump about 4 dB or so at 30Hz, you may need to fine tune a bit. Don't bump anything below 30, you don't want to over drive the woofer.

I know we still service this amp, but at $240 repair charge, you may want to look at 300-804 at Parts Express, that amp has adj eq settings and @ 170 into 8, that should be fine. The SW-12/15 series was a simple circuit but difficult and time consuming to trace, reason for the charge.

Power outages are not friendly to electronics, All my gear, except my KW-1000 and 2007 amps, plugged into a pair of UPS Tripp Lites. Power flickered a bit ago, not even a flinch except the lights came on both to let me know. I can not realy suggest running an amp off of one, but I never had an issue

Thanks -- checking on Parts Express now! This sub has been turned on since the mid 90's. When we lost power the amp cooled down. 4hours later, power came back and all we heard was very very loud 60 hz hum. I let it buzz for about two hours and could not take it any more.

$240.00 may be worth it as this sub always worked well for me.

Looks like parts express has an amp 300-805 with 6db boost @ 30 hz for $99.00

Scared of cutting up the back of my sub, though. The old amp was long rectangle, not a square.

Thanks for the heads up!!!!

-reads

I think the 804 offered different selections for eq bumps, but yes the 805 would work as well.

I am not a fan of cutting either, You may want to take a piece of 3/4 MDF, make a plate for the original amp plate, put a binding post on it. Don't get me wrong here, best to keep things as they were, but the SW series was built back before DD and DTS came along, it was back in the prologic days. DD signals are suggested to be 10 dB hotter and they could possibly blow past the limiters in the amp and over drive the woofer. This was not really an issue with the 12 and 15 from that generation. A new amp is designe d with DD signal's in mind...Keep it stock, great sub back then and still holds it's own today, just older technology.

You will need to call tech support and the person you speak with will generate a case number and get you over to the RA dept. Send the control panel along with the amp ***'y, service will check everything as a combo

• 2 weeks later...

Geez Steve! Let me do the sale for you. If your sub is from the early 90s and it has lasted this long, BUY A NEW ONE! Get the SUB-12 at Best Buy and throw the old one in the trash. It has given you a nice long service life and the new subs offer a LOT more performance for the dollar. You can fix it if you want, but I'd really recommend buying a new one. Good Luck!