Sub 10 Question

ILikeSound

I found a nice deal on a Sub 10 and am looking to upgrade to it. I have read a lot of good reviews about the Synergy series of speakers and namely the Sub 10 and 12. I have had Promedia speakers on my computer for around five or six years now, and now I'm working on a Klipsch home theater.

My question is whether there are any amp problems with the Sub 10. I know no product is perfect, and there are going to be some here and there that have issues. Do these subs hold up? Do they suffer from similar amp problems as the Ultra 5.1 sub? (they both have BASH amps, so I am curious). I am on a limited budget, and this sub is $199 at BestBuy right now, which is about the max I can afford.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

since no one else has answered yet I will jump in with what I know. As far as reliability the sub 10 and sub 12 are apparently good, and I havent heard any whining about the amplifiers malfunctioning so I would think you are very safe! As far as BASH amps are concerned I owned a RW-12 for 1 and a bit years using a BASH amplifier and never had a hickup. This RW-12 of mine was used EVERY day that I had the chance to use it, and when it got used it was often pushed to the max clean output it can deliver, so it's safe to say that unreliability is not related to BASH amplifiers [;)]

I hope they don't use BASH amp's for the subs. I worked at a place that sold the ProMedia's from Klipsch until the blingy looking 5 channels came out, but that was far from the reason.

They were a decent company to sell for, just keep a $25,000 purchasing power atleast. We quit selling them because the BASH amps had way too many issues. It outnumbered any other problem by far. This amp was a 5 channel amp, so it did 4x60 and 1 x 180 I think. Anyways, the BASH amps were the source of many problems it seemed to be.

I have a SUB-10 on the way.....I hope for the best. I in the end...have owned 2 pairs of Klipsch Promedia's....went through each of them quite often...often enough to the point where I was out of coverage from Klipsch and it was going to cost $50 + S/H each time. So I just quit sending mine back, on a few instances we had them come back partially fixed also....outputs for midrange's still not working, and etc.

They have nice sounding stuff....

I debated Velodyne vs. Klipsch...this came on sale for $199 + 12% off and reward zone points from Best Buy made it a steal.

All I know is I had a RW-12 and my friend has an RW-10 (both used BASH amplifiers)

we pushed both of them hard never had a problem (i had mine for a year, my friend still has his RW-10) you cannot say that just because an amplifier uses BASH topology it is riddled with problems, because that just like saying all amplifiers using MOSFET's on the output stage are unreliable (which is far from the truth mind you!) I know the promedia systems have had problems, but I don't think you can take this problem and label it on other things that are designed completly different.

Hope you both enjoy your SUB-10's!

Based on your experience with ProMedia problems, I understand your concern. It's best to compare apples to apples. The amp problems with PM are not due to the BASH design which is clever and widely used. Sub 10s have sold in the tens of thousands and haev proven quite reliable.

My brother in-law just purchased the Sub10 at BB. He got that fine deal on it at $199.

He called me after he had set it up with his KG 4.2 mains/ KG1.5 rear/ and 2.2v center. He is definitely very impressed at what this sub can do and was amazed at the price/performance ratio. We got him hooked on Klipsch a few years ago....now he's a Klipsch freak like the rest of us [:P]

Anyway, I am looking forward to visiting him and checking this thing out.

Mike