Buying New Stuff

Champagne taste beer budget

I need to get an additional hard drive for one of the computers at work for data storage, loading probably 12 DVD's of info onto it so I don't have to continually change discs when I want to access info on a different vehicle. These DVD's get updated 4 times a year, so I only need to write to it occasionally. I'm looking at this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144417

but am hesitant in that it needs a cable. Easily found? Maybe already in my case? Something better out there? Any advice appreciated.

Also...need to get a router. I'm currently using my DSL modem at work, which scares me in that if it goes down, so does my network. I want to have the DSL box going to a seperate router, so regardless of what the outside world is doing, I still have all the puters at work connected. The router I originally bought for work ended up at home so we could get two computers hooked up, and when we have family come to stay they always bring their laptops and need to be online, some just because they need to check on email, some because they have high fallutin jobs and NEED to be in touch with the world. They all have wireless connections, so I'm considering getting a wireless router but really don't know anything about them or what I would need to get attached to my other computer here to have it function. Outside computers aren't an issue, there isn't a house within 300 yards of me that even may have a computer, after that it's over 1/2 mile. Again, any suggestions are appreciated. I was looking at this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833127028

but don't know if it's goodorbad.

Big tip in the works for whomever comes up with the best suggestions!! [;)]

Since we're on it, I want to throw one more thing out there. Does anyone else have Wild Blue for an ISP? We have it bacause we can't get cable or DSL and though it always claims to be going 100 kbps, and the speed tests I've ran from different test sites say we have decent speed, it seems soooo dang slow compared to my DSL at work. Even a non image screen, like opening a forum thread, can take a while. [:@] I just clicked the "smiley" tab and for the complete list of available smileys to open took 42 seconds. Is there something wrong, or am I just spoiled from my DSL?

I can help with the hardrive is all. All OEM products come with nothing. So yeah you will need a cable no big deal there. They are not expensive get it while you buy the hardrive so they discount the shipping a little more. Western is a pretty good HD. Thats what i'm currently using but when I go to buy my next one I will be looking for a seagate. Try to find one with the highest cashe storage for your price range. That looks like a good drive though. 
I will be looking for a Seagate with 16mb cashe my next purchase. My western's been pretty trust worthy though so
I'm not sure. I will at least look into both. :)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?N=2010010001+1177512111&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=1

Since we're on it, I want to throw one more thing out there. Does anyone else have Wild Blue for an ISP?

No but I was thinking about getting it. I'm not so sure now after hearing what you said. A few questions.

Is it alot faster than dialup?

Is streaming video instant no waiting?

Do you have a satellite provider for television, and if so did you need a seperate dish for the internet?

I went to my brother inlaws and his cable connection almost seemed slower than my accelerated dialup for web browsing, but when I when to download anything is was instant. I couldn't believe it, but I wasn't blown away by the web pages loading.

It IS faster than dialup, that's for sure, but only by maybe a factor of 4 or 5 would be my guess, it's certainly doesn't seem 10 times faster. It's slow enough that I haven't even tried streaming video, I will tonight and get back. It does require a seperate dish than the television dish, more cables, etc. If you have access to any other way to get "high speed" I'd go with it over the dish, but if it's dish or dial up only, it sure beats dial up.

I might add, there is one step higher speed available by our provider, but it's another 30 or 40 a month and we didn't think it was worth it for the difference in speed.

Speaking about the hard drive, I would be a lot less concerned about whether I have the cable, and more concerned that I have the correct connection/controller on my computer. The Hard Drvie you have selected is a SATA drive. Chances are, if you have a store-bought computer, it doesn't have SATA. That's not to say that it for sure doesn't have it, just that it isn't very likely. Then, to run the drive, you'll need a controller card, and if you want to use it as your boot drive, you'll need to reinstall windows, and the headaches that entails. Just a heads up.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking about the hard drive, I would be a lot less concerned about whether I have the cable, and more concerned that I have the correct connection/controller on my computer. The Hard Drvie you have selected is a SATA drive. Chances are, if you have a store-bought computer, it doesn't have SATA. That's not to say that it for sure doesn't have it, just that it isn't very likely. Then, to run the drive, you'll need a controller card, and if you want to use it as your boot drive, you'll need to reinstall windows, and the headaches that entails. Just a heads up.

Excellent catch Todd I was thinking that, but forgot all about it thinking about other things. It's the most important thing to consider for sure. Hope it's not to late.

Bill

Nope, not too late, have had too many other things on the plate to get this handled yet.

Yes, it is a SATA drive computer. Not store bought, custom ordered as a set of 4 from HP, build sheet is somewhere around here, but I do know it's SATA. Thanks for the heads up though, I wouldn't even have thought of it and possibly bought a RAID instead without knowing it. I have, btw, ran across a couple extra drive connection cables in my mess of wires here.