Thinking about building speakers, need advice

clayk

I am a long time Klipsch owner.  I have Cornwalls and Heresy's and love them.  I was shopping for a set of speakers for my son and stumbled on this forum.  I noticed that you folks build your own speakers and I am intrigued.  I make cabinets and think the wood work part would be fun.  I am not sure about the electronics and components.  I would be interested in building something like LaScallas.  I had some a long time ago and miss them.  Questions:

Is it practical to do this?
Is there any economy, or will it cost me a lot more than just buying a pair?
Are there plans available?
Where does oen find components?

Thanks a bunch.

Clay

Clay:

Is it practical to do this? SURE, if you have the skills, tools and capability

Is there any economy, or will it cost me a lot more than just buying a pair? Certainly, savings can be had, BUT - again you must consider your capabilities, skills and time, as well as which drivers you employ, which veneers if any you use, what your time is worth, what wood you use, etc.

Are there plans available? See this thread above for some examples http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/810474.aspx

Where does oen find components? Depends on your definition of component; drivers can be had from Parts Express, forum members like Bob Crites, or "other"; Crossovers can be hand spun, or prebuilt by several forum members including myself (and Dean G, Al K, Bob Crites)

Any other questions, ask - there are lots of folks here to help, that should get you started.

Chris

Given the cost of used turnkey speakers vs. the cost of buying components and wood plus the cost of your time DIYing isn't generally cost effective. Much depends on the day-to-day used market in the speakers you're interested in.

Now if you enjoy the building or have a certain notion in mind that a turnkey speaker won't satisfy, well that's different then.

For instance I just bought some excellent condition Altec Model 19s for $950. If I were to build Model 19s I'd have to shell out $300-400 just for the 802-8G compression drivers, another $400 for the woofers, $100-150 for the horns and at least $150 for the crossovers. Those are all used values. Then I'd still have to buy wood and build cabinets. And figure in the value of my time building the cabinets.

Now for Cornwalls or LaScalas you can get the parts for less than Altec parts but the general idea is the same. And the LaScala cabinet is complicated to build, I know, I built a few pair back in the 1970s.

You have gotten some good advice.

Some used speakers are simply more expensive. For instance Belles are considerably more expensive than LaScalas. They are both fine speakers but the price differential is mostly probably due to aesthetics (Belles do look nice) rather than differences in sound quality.

It is unlikely that you are going to see Atec 19s for that price (wouldn't it be nice .....). However, you can certainly get a good deal on a cabinet that has cosmetic problems. If it is a result of rough handling, than you might be concerned about the components otherwise the cosmetics can be "fixed". You mentioned that you enjoy DIY, would that extend to refinishing and adding veneer? You could than get a killer deal and have the enjoyment of DIY and end up with a set of dynamite speakers. Folks pay a premium for pristine cabinets. The converse is that an ugly cabinet means a substantial discount. Be patient, the market cycles.

Good Luck,

-Tom