denon and ksw-12 bass management

t-man

Just got my system upgraded from Pro-Logic. Now have the following:

Denon AVR-1601/681

KG 3.2 (mains)

KV-2 (center)

KG 1 (rears)

KSW-12

Now I've read every post on this bass management issue, and searched the web and denon's tech support. They (denon) STRONGLY recommend setting all speaks to "small", unless you have HUGE mains. I've been tweeking for days, and figure this to be the best sound as well with my KG 3.2s - despite what others are recommending on this site - including denon's owners manual.

My question is that if the reciever supposedly cuts off the frequencies under 80hz to the sub only (nowhere does is this mentioned "explicitly" in the manual. One can only guess based on their statement about speaks being able to handle below 80 htz), and the rest of the frequencies are handled by the speakers, how do I set my crossover on the sub?

I don't want to lose LFE, but I don't want to have high frequency muddy bass that sounds terrible when I turn up the sub. I'd like to set it around 80 and leave it, as I get the best sound for music, but am I possibly missing something by not cranking it to 120 for HT, namely LFE data?

In theory, the reciever's crossover should not put frequencies greater than 80 hz into the sub, but when I play with the subs crossover dial, I get more higher, annoying bass as I turn the dial past 80, all the way to 120. This doesn't seem right??

I have it hooked up via the sub RCA out and y spliter. No speaker wires into the sub, b/c I want to control the sub from the remote. Why is my sub still getting Bass above 80hz?

Thanks,

T-man

yea t-man I get the same for my vel on music cds. fortunately I have a crossover out switch. i switch it out for HT dvds as then the only thing sent to the sub is LFE. for music though it sounds better w/ the cross in & set to 80hz or lower. nature of the beast as I guess it rolls off (not totally cuts off) at 80hz & u get that muddy/boomy sound above that point on music. so for the best sound sorry but u probably need to turn the cross way up for HT/dvd & down for music/cds.

------------------

RF-3 (front), RC-3, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub

Monsterbass 400 sub cables & Monster Z-12 wire

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

rock on!

t-man - I'm not sure if this applies to the crossovers in the Denon (since the bass management is done in the digital domain in the receiver), but generally speaking crossovers do not cut frequencies like hitting a brick wall. Rather, the frequencies above a certain point "fade away." The rate of fade is known as 1st order, 2nd order, 3rd order and 4th order. Each order is 6db/octave. So a 2nd order crossover will fade the frequencies above a desired point at 12db/octave. I'm theorizing that the Denon is fading the frequencies above 80hz, so some are getting through to your sub up to the sub's crossover setting.

Perhaps someone else more familiar with the operation of digital bass management could clarify or rebute my theory??

doug that sounds about exactly right. u get dueling filters when using both the sub preouts & the crossovers on the subs. that's why it's nice to have the crossover in/out switch on a sub.

it would be even nicer to be able to control the crossover points on the receiver itself. no such luck w/ my sony but i've been eyeing those upper denon's that have that capability biggrin.gif

t-man, besides going thru the sub speaker level, that's the only true solution. if anyone has a better solution, i'd like to hear it.

------------------

RF-3 (front), RC-3, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub

Monsterbass 400 sub cables & Monster Z-12 wire

Sony de935 a/v receiver

Sony DVP-C650D dvdp

Sony Trinitron 27" tv

Technics dual cassette deck

Technics direct drive turntable

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

rock on!