AA Crossovers or AK Crossovers which is better

Old-Tube-Sound

Hi All,

I own a pair of 82 Klipschorns and they currently have the AK crossovers in them. I have a chance to pick up a nice pair of AA crossovers out of some old LaScala's. So I'm looking for some feedback from you K-Horn owners in the know, should I leave the AK crossovers in there and forget the AA's or should I grab the AA's and install them? Are the AA's better than the AK's as far as quality of parts and will my K-Horns sound better with them? or are the AK's of better quality parts and sound? Thanks for your help guys and have a very Merry Christmas and great New Year.

For your K-horns, I'd say "No, the AAs are not better." The Type AK is not the poor network the Type AL is.

If you want to tweak them a bit (I'm sure the capacitors are no longer performing as new), I'd replace the caps with modern ones, change the woofer cap(s) to 100 uF like the Type AK-3 and maybe change the tweeter circuit to an 18 dB/octave Butterworth at 5500 to 5800 Hz. It would be similar to Al Klappenberger's tweeter circuit.

http://ccs.exl.info/calc_cr.html#third

post-2142-13819317819314_thumb.gif