Wifi and a desktop

wheelman

Is it possible to have a wifi internet connection with a desktop computer? It would be nice if you don't have any other option for high speed internet. I'm half tempted to splurg for satellite, but they got to come down on that price sooner or later you would think. The darn thing should be available automatically with Dish users.

are you talking wifi as you have internet already and just want wireless or wifi as getting a signal. Wifi is just a wireless connection without service. You need something like cable or dsl. There is 3g cellphone that allows you to be wireless. though mostly for laptops you can do it though

are you talking wifi as you have internet already and just want wireless or wifi as getting a signal. Wifi is just a wireless connection without service. You need something like cable or dsl. There is 3g cellphone that allows you to be wireless. though mostly for laptops you can do it though

Yep your right I don't know anything about wifi. I was wondering if it was possible to use it as a high speed service to run the internet. Say maybe get a cellular phone account and only use it for my computer. Then I thought wow the rates probally would be out of this world. It's weird a guy from Canada told that's what he does, but he may have a laptop and live really close to a wifi location. Satellite is coming down a little from the last time I looked. Still to expensive for me. 300 for the equipment, and 50 a month, or nothing down and pay 99 a month. Heck I dont' need high speed that bad. Still I would like to stream videos in real time and not wait an hour and a half to watch a you tube video in crappy compression at that. 

if you live in an area with wifi connections or if a neighbor that has an unprotected wifi connection, you can steal it. Other than that wifi means you supply the internet and get a wifi router which broadcasts up to 300 feet radius or so but the internet usually comes from broadband. You can get the newer 3g cellphone connection for around 60 usd in the us

$50/month really isn't that bad for a broadband connection. My grandparents switched to satellite because it was cheaper and more reliable than the cable internet service they were originally recieving. I think I pay $35/month for my cable internet here on campus, but that's only because I also have cable TV. I think it's $50 without.

$50/month really isn't that bad for a broadband connection. My grandparents switched to satellite because it was cheaper and more reliable than the cable internet service they were originally recieving. I think I pay $35/month for my cable internet here on campus, but that's only because I also have cable TV. I think it's $50 without.

There are three packages and the least expensive is 50. I guess Dish network did hook up with wild blue. So it brought the equipment fees down a hundred bucks to 200 dollars for Dish users. The thing is the speed 512kbps/128kbps I have no idea if this will be fast enough for 50 bucks a month. I hoping to beable to online game when test drive unlimited comes out. What do you think of that speed? Isn't dsl faster for 15 bucks? I don't get that, but who know's. I have to sign a year contract for the satellite. I may beable to get dls by then. I think it's best to wait for the new year though. They may have a new deal and it's only a month away anyways.

• 4 weeks later...

Is it possible to have a wifi internet connection with a desktop computer? It would be nice if you don't have any other option for high speed internet. I'm half tempted to splurg for satellite, but they got to come down on that price sooner or later you would think. The darn thing should be available automatically with Dish users.

Yes, you can use an 802.11 wireless network signal with a desktop computer. Just be sure to avoid USB based adapters, they will slow your connection down and add latency (bad thing). Be sure to get a full fledged PCI adapter. Also keep in mind that a wireless connection is not as responsive as a wired one.

If you are considering sattelite, just do your self a favor dont get it. Sattelite is expensive and very slow for the money. Latency of sattelite connections is rediculously high and your dial up connection's will out perform it. If you can muster the patience, something called WiMAX should be coming to your local area sometime soon (few years). Companies like sprint are aggressively implementing it accross the USA.

You will need an adapter for you PC to go wireless and I highly recomend Cisco as the Brand to choose.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4555/products_data_sheet09186a00801ebc33.html

• 4 weeks later...

Megaohm thanks for the info I was checking out the Cisco. What else would you need? I dont live anywhere near a "hotspot". Do companys offer a wifi interent service for an individual consumer? Or is this mainly for routing? Im just trying to find something that's faster than dial up. I don't have Dsl, or cable in my rural area.