Sharp AQOUS LC-46D62U

kelA

I am starting to look into new displays to replace my current tv. One I looked at today was the AQOUS, looked very good in the store. Is anybody currently using this display with a Denon 3910? If so have you noticed any macroblocking issues or other problems? I have been doing a little research and I like what I am reading about the black levels and the PQ on SD with the LCD, but it appears to still have a banding issue that Sharp is dealing with. Any thoughts?

I've been considering this unit as well.  It has the best black levels of any LCD I have looked at.  Two other attributes that set it apart are the quality of its video processor, in that it handles standard def material unusually well.  One night I asked CC to play SD on it and they lit up their entire bank of TV's on the SD feed, and the Sharp(s) handled the material as well or better than than any other units.  Another thing I noticed was was how well the unit handled motion.  I compared it to the Samsung and Sony peer units and when watching football, the turf in the background lost detail and smeared together on the Sony/Samsung, while the Sharp was considerably better in maintaining resolution of the detail.  But what I liked the most, and something that could be appreciated at any distance was the amount of detail, which brought a three dimensional quality to the picture that was not as evident in its peer products.  The only reservation I have is the banding issues, though the research I did last week indicated that those with serial numbers from 611... on did not seem to be having the trouble (611 indicating a November '06 date of manufacture).  Can't help you with the Denon compatibility questions though, but the folks at AVSforum could help you if you post on the owners thread for the Sharps. Street prices around here are hovering in the $2500-2800 range fwiw.  One reason I have decided to wait a while to buy, besides being sure the banding QC  issue is resolved, is that I read an industy press release from Samsung that indicated they expected the LCD market to saturate the first quarter of 07, which according to supply and demand would imply that prices will fall near the end of the first quarter on all LCD's.

Raider, thanks for the reply. For all the reasons you mentioned is why I am looking at this model. I have posted over at AVS, but have not heard anything from others. I will probably wait a few months to make sure the banding issue is under control, and to see what the prices do. With it being the newest model, I don't want to be Sharp's guinea pig.[:o] Just trying to get my models narrowed down.