DrWho: what free room response program were you using?

damonrpayne

Room EQ Wizard
http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/

I think you have to become a member of their forum to download the program. While at it, I was able to find calibration files for the Behringer ECM8000 microphone. I have since been unable to find them on the forum, but I'll go ahead and host it for you:
https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/mebentz2/ecm8000.cal

And make sure you read the help file (which is on the first link). You'll want to make sure you calibrate the sound card correctly and save your calibration file too (don't forget to manually add the extension in the file name or you'll have trouble finding it when you go to load it again).

Feel free to give me a call if you have any questions (preferably after 9pm). It's taken me a while to get it figured out, but I think I have it down now. I know there's more to the program, but a lot of the extra bells and whistles I have issues with (because they're ignoring the transient state and concentating on the steady state).

For what it's worth, I just measured my room with my new sub and I'll go ahead and attach the picture. I think this is quite impressive (nearly +-3dB in room response with a few dips here and there).

post-10350-13819317980212_thumb.jpg

Dr. Who,

Can you change the scale to 45dB-105dB and a horizontal scale of (15-20)Hz-20000Hz? That is close to what they show on the Home theater shack. BTW JohnM is a moderator and author of the program on the Shack. He expects to have a new version of REW out before Christmas. I have seen the beta...lots of changes and some cool new features.

DrWhat,

+-3db is pretty sweet, is this without any acoustic treatment or equalization software in your receiver or did you have to work for it [;)] ?

Not a slam, just asking if you got lucky or how you achieved this. I feel that +-3db is an important number because basically the room response is down to within the "acceptable" speaker deviation.

No acoustic treatment or EQ, but I really had to work for it...and it's not fancy mic positioning either [;)] It's not totally +-3dB and the program doesn't show the time-variant behavior either (except maybe the waterfalls for 300Hz and below). I've got some resonances existing at the peaks and some short decays at the nulls.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

What fun!

After reading this thread I downloaded the free version of True RTA, hooked up the mic I use for my guitar amp through a 4 channel mixer to the computer, fed the computer audio out to my preamp, hung the mic from the ceiling where my head is when I listen, and... it looks about the way it sounds - pretty smooth response in the wide mid range, no peaking in the treble (actual roll off), and a bump in the mid bass. The mic roll off below 50 and above 16K).

I'm just learning to use this, but I know the readings below 50Hz are the noise floor (I did this late at night so the SPL level was about 75dB). I have since moved my speakers to try to drop the bump at about 150Hz... will have fun measuring for that later on.

Below is primative whole octave bands - La Scalas in short wall corners of 10H x 12W x 18L room with concrete floor half covered (checkerboarded) with fabric tiles and two mattresses, one upright in back corner, other upright agaist side wall. Actual data is:

15.625 -45.946
31.250 -47.353
62.500 -32.870
125.000 -17.639
250.000 -22.891
500.000 -21.787
1000.000 -21.664
2000.000 -22.918
4000.000 -21.655
8000.000 -29.077
16000.000 -45.289

Now that I look at the actual data I see a dip at 125Hz - those data points are different from the labels of the chart bands...

post-16099-13819321729182_thumb.jpg