Only have sound on left channel.

Harvester

Very strange happenings, I hope this forum is the right place as it is closest to the problem I guess.

Here is a list of the things I am using:

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 sound card

Promedia GMX A-2.1

SRS labs WOW (http://www.srslabs.com/ae-wowtech828.asp )

This is what is happening I have the the sound on and the soujnd from the card to the WOW to the Pre amp in the GMX to the sub woofer then out to the speakers on the desk. I have both speakers going and you can hear the sound no problem and it sounds fine and all connections are firm and on point. Now when I was listening the other day I noticed that one side was softer in volume than the other after one of my industries furry trouble makers dropped my speaker off my desk and I was setting it back up. So, I went into my audio controls and moved the balance over to the other speaker to see what was up and noticed it went silent all of them went silent. I was perplexed, I messed around for a while and everything is fine, however the sound coming out is going to the speakers on both side not at the same level but it isn't only one speaker, but they are only getting the left channel from the sound card.

Any ideas how to fix this? Do you need more information on how to fix this?

Thanks!

Dude, I hate to say this on your first post, but it is very hard to understand your question. It sounds like the speaker is working, not working at all, and has very little sound--all at the same time.

I guess I'd have to say that maybe the speaker is broken? It was working fine, then it fell off the desk? Yeah, probably broken.

Well, I figured as much but I will try and explain the post to you.

In this part of the post I am pointing out the equipment being used and also links to the equipment if the person reading it is not familiar with the product.

Here is a list of the things I am using:

Sound Blaster Audigy 2 sound card

Promedia GMX A-2.1

SRS labs WOW (http://www.srslabs.com/ae-wowtech828.asp )

Then in the next part of the message I am pointing out the way that this is all hooked up to the computer.

This is what is happening I have the the sound on and the soujnd from
the card to the WOW to the Pre amp in the GMX to the sub woofer then
out to the speakers on the desk.

In the next section I talk about my cat dropping the speaker off the desk as well as my not noticing that there was any real issues with the speakers until I got close to them to notice the difference in levels. This was because...the car aforementioned had dropped the speaker and I was picking it up as it was running to hear the difference up close. I then went on to speak about trouble shooting the issue and to see if that there was an actual issue with the levels on the card, that is when I realized that it was only the left channel working (with both speakers in different levels of output) and that if I moved it to the right everything went silent.

I have both speakers going and you can hear the sound no problem and it
sounds fine and all connections are firm and on point. Now when I was
listening the other day I noticed that one side was softer in volume
than the other after one of my industries furry trouble makers dropped
my speaker off my desk and I was setting it back up. So, I went into my
audio controls and moved the balance over to the other speaker to see
what was up and noticed it went silent all of them went silent. I was
perplexed, I messed around for a while and everything is fine, however
the sound coming out is going to the speakers on both side not at the
same level but it isn't only one speaker, but they are only getting the
left channel from the sound card.

Nothing has changed I am still wondering why I am getting only one channel out of the system, and it is going to both speakers where it should only be going to the left and the right should be silent. However, the left is stronger but the right does have sound coming out of it at a lower level. If the left and right channels were separate and individual there would be no sound out of the right speaker in any levels but there is. That is the issue..hope that helps out.

So the WOW is an actual piece of equipment?

Actually, your new post makes a lot more sense. When you move the balance control to the left side, the sound comes out of both speakers. What happens if you move the balance to the right speaker? Same thing, Right speaker only, or no sound at all?

Is is possible you plugged the speakers into the wrong output on the sound card? Like you maybe hooked the front speaker connection into the center channel output? That would be my first guess.

• 2 weeks later...

I suspect that your amplifier is blown or a bad connection is made somewhere. So the remedy is to try a known good. Go to radio shack (or walmart, target, etc) and get a pair of two channel speakers for $5 (a pair of headphones will work). Then run the creative diagnostics and speaker tests (under diagnostics app). The diagnostics will first check to see if your soundcard is funtioning properly, then it will give you the option to send a signal to each of your speakers. Now take your pair of headphones and plug them in to the front two channels and see if you get sound. Then move the plug to the back speakers, and repeat for every channel.

Next play some 5.1 or 7.1 material on your computer, if you don't have any; two channel sources will work, just change the CMSS 3D setting to upmix to stereo x2 mode and conduct the headphone test again using the THX setup.

After you have done this, report back to this forum and tell me the results.