Did I get a good deal?

tommiwan

I was very excited as a guy had listed what I thought was a pair of SS.5's for $50. I called him up, left a message wanting to jump on them cause I know they are older, but that's a good price still... When he calls back he threw me for a loop. It is only 1 speaker. I didn't know what to say. He mentioned someone else was interested (sales tactic?, I didn't want to let this get by as I want to update my crappy surrounds)

In a rush decision I told him I would take it. It's not quite the deal I thought I was getting, but still not a bad deal judging from prices on ebay. The only problem will be finding one to match.

NOW for my question. Would this speaker work as a center channel? My current center is from a HTIAB system, so anything would be an upgrade. Other wise I suppose I could upgrade one surround now and start looking for the other. Thanks for the help.

I was very excited as a guy had listed what I thought was a pair of SS.5's for $50. I called him up, left a message wanting to jump on them cause I know they are older, but that's a good price still... When he calls back he threw me for a loop. It is only 1 speaker. I didn't know what to say. He mentioned someone else was interested (sales tactic?, I didn't want to let this get by as I want to update my crappy surrounds)

In a rush decision I told him I would take it. It's not quite the deal I thought I was getting, but still not a bad deal judging from prices on ebay. The only problem will be finding one to match.

Here is a pair on eBay going for $99. $50 for a single speaker is not really bad, especially if it is in good condition. Try for that pair that is currently at $99, and use that with the one you got for $50 to setup a 6.1 surround configuration (left/right surrounds and a single surround in the rear). It may be more difficult to find a single SS.5, though as it seems every one that I saw is in pairs.

NOW for my question. Would this speaker work as a center channel? My current center is from a HTIAB system, so anything would be an upgrade. Other wise I suppose I could upgrade one surround now and start looking for the other. Thanks for the help.

Personally, I wouldn't use it as a center channel, although there is certainly nothing stopping you from trying, though. I'd try to find a matching center channel to go with your mains on the used market. In your case, your best match would be an RC-35, to go with your RF-35s (which, btw, are very nice speakers). Be expected to pay a good $200 and up for one, unless you get really lucky on a good deal somewhere (one currently on eBay for $190, but don't know how long that'll last as there are still 3 days on the auction).