I want more output from midrange.

John, I don't understand your dislike on the meter. For the purposes of the midrange response this should be more than sufficient. The Eminence woofer is 1db less efficient than the K33E and it's 8ohm so this should put the sensitivity in the 100db range which is where the Audax PR17 is.

Here's a copy of the Speakerlab SK specs and description of the horn. Notice how the horn doesn't even fit into the wall. That's the way mine are made. No need for the extra material in the Khorn. The reason the front is octagonal shape is to make room for the midrange and tweeter in front of the bass bin.

post-24845-13819318452662_thumb.jpg

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I,ve heard the PR17...Im interested in the quality of reproduction....John Warren approach is mutch better than the avenue your going...The attitude of "Why one has to spend big bucks for good sound." I dont consider couple of hundred big money. Johns wit is a bit off the mark,, but if you look on his site The effert is worth the cost.

How about just doubling up on the cones, wired in parallel, and attenuating both as needed. That would double the output (halve the power handling?) and Bob's your uncle!

Technically, cone midranges are a perfectly good approach with some great attributes. It never seemed to catch on IMO because PWK didn't do it first.

I would daresay that the SK cabinet is about as good as your ever going to get as far as being an anti-diffraction "device" for the midrange, too. It's not a bad design at all.

I would think that its attributes actually out-perform the Klipschorn, depending on the quality of the crossover, IMO which is probably the best thing the Klipschorn has going, competitively speaking.

Again IMO, it's an underrated design, and really embodies some substantial improvements while retaining (or surpassing) the classic Khorn bass response.

DM

One more thing, in the Speakerlab K plans I used (which had the PR17 in the design) there was a mention of a bass adjustment knob. I didn't have any crossover schematic but from what I can tell it was simply an Lpad on the woofer. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

I'll scan the speakerlab K schematic and post for you.

John, I don't understand your dislike on the meter. For the purposes of the midrange response this should be more than sufficient.

I have no dislike for the RS meter. The "method" of using a spl meter to do this measurement just does not work. I know this might come as bit of a surprize to you but using an spl meter of any kind it will not give you any information that will be of any value to you in attempting to quantify the amplitude response of your speakers. For this reason systems such as MLSSA, CLIO and a couple others have been developed SPECIFICALLY to measure amplitude responses in non-anechoic environments. They are dedicated hardware/software solutions. There are other methods but these are, by far, the easiest to implement providing both time and frequency domain information.

I have some homemade khorns with an Audax PR17 6.5inch midrange and EV35 tweeter. I would like some more output from the midrange. Currently running it without any antenuation. I was told by djk that the T2A autoformer could be used to increase the output. How does one hook one up to increase output? Run it backwards? The Audax is rated at 100db efficiency but not in the 400-2k range where's it's slightly less. Where does one buy one and at what cost? Thanks. Maybe it would just be easier to put an L-pad on the woofer section to decrease the bass output in relation to midrange?

actually, that works. we have done it on a couple of nets here.

on l pads, if you have varying impedances, it will not turn down the lf evenly. besides you would need a high power l pad to make it last on the woofer section.

roy delgado

No, guys, I don't have an SK, that picture is Chris's, but now I don't exactly remember which Chris, but he's here on the forum somewhere!

I'm just an interested bystander. John, yes, Speakerlab came out with the new version sometime in the 1980's (which I seemed to have missed), since my "K" plans are from 1978. I don;t know when they quit making them, either, but I would guess early 90's, but that's just a guess.

DM

I emailed Speakerlab to see if they know anything about the bass adjustment knob. I don't see why one has to spend big bucks for good sound. This thread went from criticism to helpful suggestions back to criticism that is simply not needed. Maron, have you heard the PR17 driver? I didn't think so.

yep tends to happen alot on here especially from the prune juice drinkers. set me up another one, johnny!

roy delgado