Home Theater Help

Wolfmandf

I am in the process of setting up my Home Theater and plan to include my Altec Lansing Model 19 speakers. I was told by an Audio Dealer that a Klipsch Center Chanel speaker would be a good match. I have two questions. First, does anyone see any compatability problems trying to match the Altecs with the Klipsch? Second, if this is a good match, should I consider buying the Klipsch surround speakers as well? Any help would be appreciated.

I could give you the polite answer... Altec is good, Klipsch is also good, if not better.... but it is personal preference too.

Since you asked my opinion? Here it is..

In HT, you want your front speakers that are designed to work together... that's your left, center, and right front speakers..

They can all be the same or in the series... This way it is pretty seamless, unless you want the sound to shift and distract you?

Not quite as important in surrounds that depends on how critical you want to get as well?

Don't forget a great sub, it will make a huge difference too. NO theater should be without a great sub.

Which Klipsch speakers did you have in mind? There was some talk a while back about building custom center channels with the Altec horn for the HF and a pair of Eminence woofers for the LF. I believe the thread is in the Updates and Mods section of the forum.

As far as modern Klipsch centers are concerned....they're not going to be a perfect timbre match. They should be able to keep up with efficiency and dynamics, but the timbre is going to be off a bit. I can't think of any other hornloaded home audio companies so Klipsch is probably the most optimal compromise if you can't do something with identical drivers...