Thoughts on using a compter ups..

TIbor

I have a apc smart ups that is is used for a computer. If i plug my my power bar into that is there a downside? I only have 150 service in the house, I was wondering if that would help when my electric dipss down. For example like my ac kicks on or any other power hungry device is turned on.

Thanks

Depends on the VA rating of the UPS.

Most computer UPS's are 700VA's.

A pair of 60 watt tube mono blocks will draw in the area of 600VA's, aside from what ever your sources and pre-amps are pulling.

A 900VA UPS would be the min in most cases, sometimes, depending on what you are running, might need as much as 1600 VA's.

Hi

I dont have anything too power demanding. At most it would be a 52 dlp tv, denon 2803 and dvd player.

Most likely my back ups is 700va. Could it harm the system if the backups was under rateed for the draw, or just do no good.

Thanks again

It depends on the design of the UPS.

Most UPS's will produce a decaying square wave as the power demands approach the rating of the UPS.

Better UPS's will have fuses or circut breakers.

A UPS works by taking your AC and converting to DC which charges a battery then using that charging circut to power DC to AC inverters. Thats why the cutover to UPS is tipcally seamless....yo u were actually running off the UPS inverter to start with. When the power cuts out, the charging process stops, the DC to AC conversion continues til the battery drains.

In the case of under rated UPS's, you could get into a senerio where the actual load taxes the charging process resulting in the battery not getting charged.

Wouldn't go as far as saying it couldn't hurt anything.....as the frequency drops to maintain the voltage levels, you could over heat primary windings on transformers .

I have heard that it is a good thing to have a ups hooked up to a rear projection TV, if the power goes out you can turn your TV off and the fan will still run to cool the light bulb. Without the ups the TV goes out along with the fan not alowing the bulb to cool and will shorten the life of the bulb.

Steve