Speakerlab SK bass bin crossover freq. charts-interesting!

I began to experiment with my Speakerlab SK bass bin to get rid of the 100-200hz bump that makes the bass sound honky. I was originally using an Eminence 5415 woofer that has specs similiar to the K33. I was using a 6.4mh coil to kill some top end sound and that's what I had available at the time. I ran some freq. response with some other chokes and one with an extra capacitor. I was wondering if I could design a notch filter that would take care of the bump. What I discovered is that my 6.4mh (Klipsch uses a 2.4 on a 4ohm driver-mine's an 8ohm driver) coil doesn't do too bad a job but when I hooked up what I believe to be about a 9mh the lower bass jumped up a few db's and the upper midbass didn't chan ge a whole lot. I than ran freq. response with an 80uf capacitor to change it to a 12db rolloff and the lower bass dissappeared. The first chart is the 12db rolloff circuit. It would sound terrible (I didn't bother and listen yet). The second chart is the 6.4mh plus the 9.0mh coils hooked up in series and you can see a jump in lower freq. and it tended to stabilize the upper midbass without rolling off the 400hz range substantially. This combo should theroretocally resuilt in no resonse in the 400hz range and shouldn't affect the lower bass. I would suppose that the impedance of the speaker is affecting my calculations. I wil give a listen to the 6.4 +9.0 combo and see how it goes.

post-24845-13819321110576_thumb.jpg

The bass horn essentially doubles the impedance of the woofer. So, a
K-33 with a DCR o 3.2 ohms becomes 6+ ohms in the bass horn. Yours
will do something similar. This will affect your crossover calcs.

Why don't you test it without any inductors?

I do have chart without any crossover. Here it is. With both chokes in the bass bin the speaker is listenable without any eq. or subwoofer running but the subwoofer fills in the lowest octave nicely. Probably the extra reistance of the coils reduces the output of the bass driver sufficiently to balance it a little better. The freq. response with both chokes on the right speaker does still show some increase in the 150hz range compared to the chart I posted.

post-24845-13819321154716_thumb.jpg