What's that nipping at Panasonic's heels?????

Tom Adams

Why it's the Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 1080 with 1920 x 1080 resolution, HDMI 1.3, a 2.1X zoom, 12,000:1 contrast (claimed), 1200 ANSI lumens output (claimed), extensive vertical and horizontal lens shift and a MSRP of $4999 which is $1K less than the Pany AE1000U.

Hey Damon.....you haven't bought your projector yet have y......or darn - you already got the Pany. [;)]

Good ged - HT projectors are starting to be like PC's.

Should be interesting to see how this Epson performs.

Tom

Hi Tom, I'm a little surprised there hasn't been some commentary on this ... but what the heck ...

I've worked long stints at both Panasonic (Matsushita Electric) and Epson (Seiko Epson). I've been really impressed with the strides that Panasonic has made in the display area over recent decades, and especially in the plasma area over the last ten. In Japan, Panasonic was called the "copy cat" since all they did was let Sony invent something, then they'd clone the design somewhat and cost reduce it. Panasonic doesn't really live by that mantra anymore and they're doing some very good basic research.

Epson is similar in the research area. They have a good fundamental R&D program, but I've always viewed them as being in second place in the display area. Their projectors are very good and have strong market share, but in the HT arena, I really haven't seen them as a major player. This might represent a new foray into that area.

It was great seeing you a week or so ago. Jack is still talking about your very cool Yamaha touring cycle.

Chris

Why it's the Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 1080 with 1920 x 1080 resolution, HDMI 1.3, a 2.1X zoom, 12,000:1 contrast (claimed), 1200 ANSI lumens output (claimed), extensive vertical and horizontal lens shift and a MSRP of $4999 which is $1K less than the Pany AE1000U.

Hey Damon.....you haven't bought your projector yet have y......or darn - you already got the Pany. [;)]

Good ged - HT projectors are starting to be like PC's.

Should be interesting to see how this Epson performs.

Tom

Yeah, too late for me. A year from now I'll be wishing I'd spent the extra $2k or whatever for an ultra high contrast 1080p HDMI 1.3 model, but stuff changes so fast I would have kept waiting and never bought a projector.

UPGRADES!