New (to me) Forte 1's - which amp/rcvr?

wogamax

Hello all,

First post. I've done the Ebay thing and lived up to an acoustic memory from 20 years ago. I never pulled the trigger on Forte's then, but now I have taken the plunge. I was haunted by the enduring impression of how well they imaged and sounded at above average volumes.

QUESTION:

Though I have audiophile tendencies, these speakers will NOT be serving that duty. I mostly want power. Ample power for moving big air. They are going in a workout basement room. Currently, I have a vintage Onkyo 2500 (40wpc rms). I was thinking a vintage NAD unit, or similar, with ~100wpc rms, like the 705, or 2200. I don't think the Onkyo will be up to the task and the new amps, like the super-T, don't strike me as potent. I'm eying Ebay for vintage values, but will consider new stuff if the circuitry gets the Klipsch Forum seal of approval for high decibels and price.

Any thoughts? Price $100-200, or just over. Thanks!!

PS-I've done a search and mostly found info on tube amps and solutions for ultra clean sound. That's why the new post / purpose.

The only amp I've heard with my Forte II speakers is my harman / kardon HK3480 2 channel amp. Jay on here has an HK3480 hooked up ro RF-83 speakers and really likes it.

$500 retail but I bought one that was only a couple months old for $175 on eBay.

I like it because it has both pre-amp ins and outs and sub-outs. As long as the source material is good, it sounds very smooth and powerful with the Fortes.

120 watts x 2, high current design.

I've looked into HK more and, since I'm in a basement, picking up a vintage HK 630, 730, or 930 sounds like a nice SS way to go. The problem is remote control. If I could find a decent (cheap) pre-out receiver, from all I am reading here, I may even consider a pair of tube amps, like Eico, or Scott. There's so much tube stuff on Ebay and Audiogon, I'm bewildered and, furthermore, spending too little on a pre-amp may be defeating.

I've noted the 3480, but wonder how it would stack up against its older dual powered sibs? One thing I don't want to do is increase the mid-range bite of the older Forte's at lower/moderate volumes.

I'll modify my "big air" request to enough power to play loud in a 16 X 22 area. Can sub $200-400 tube amps do that? Looking for punch at pehaps the expense of a little head room. Other SS ideas? Thx