Heresy Crossover Tweek

DrWho

Dee:

I don't want to take away from the primary focus of this thread. Just wanted to echo what you said about the lower crossover point. The type 'A' was really my favorite network. It's still a good network, IMO, and I sort of stumbled on what to ME sounded 'better.' The word 'better' in this case refers to what I perceived as even less 'opacity,' if you will, and stronger image focus. Audio descriptions like these are themselves so subjective, and mean different things to different people.

I liked the sound of what I made, others might very well find it too open-sounding... or something. It wasn't a quest for detail per se,' but rather a crossover that seemed to get more out of the way. In that respect, the Lowthers we're using with the Moth si 2A3 are hard to beat. On the other hand, our HT system is made up of entirely Klipsch Heritage (Klipschorns L/R and Heresy center and surrounds), which are pretty hard to touch in terms of dynamics for movie soundtracks and music DVDs. Two different systems that do well for the way they're used.

It sounds like you guys are involved in an interesting project -- good luck with it.

Erik

Dee:

Obviously not nearly as interesting as your and Tony's project, but just a thought: Radio Shack has PA speakers, both ten and fifteen inch woofer models. They seem to be fairly well made, and the cost is reasonable, IMO, for what one gets. I'm mentioning this because I may try the 15" version to use as monitors for my electronic drums. I had been using my Heresy IIs for that, but kickdrumdrum signals through the Heresy woofers may not be the best option in the long run. The Radio Shack monitors are full-range, but look interesting to me because of the large woofer, including its larger voice coil. They are made to be transportable, which might not be what you are interested in as far as aesthetics.

Erik