Cinema or Quintet

wiz561

Hi!

I have a pair of Reference that have used for about 5 or 6 years now, and absolutely love them. However, they are a little large in my living room now and would like to get something smaller. I'm looking at either the Quintet III's or Cinema 6. My main concern is the power handling from my receiver. I have a Sony STR-V555ES receiver, that outputs 120 watts x 5 channels into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.05% THD.

I was wondering, are these specs too much for the small Cinema 6 speakers? On the web site, they say only 40 watts RMS. Am I going to smoke them if I use them?

Thanks in advance....

Mike

You can blow up ANY speaker if you feed too much or distorted power into it. You can expect listening levels to decrease corresponding to the reduction in the size of your speakers.

Yes, by putting smaller speakers in your listening room you will have to turn it down. The Sony is probably only 80 real watts, so the Cinema can take short duration peaks. But long term cranking it will be a no-no.

Klipsch makes the larger, more efficient, more power handling speakers for a reason. Bigger sound takes bigger boxes (my personal belief)

Get the Cinema series and a good sub, cross over at 100 or 120 for maximum enjoyment.

Thank you for your information. It's so great that tech support from klipsch chime in on these forums. This is one of the major reasons why I want to stick with the brand; I feel comfortable and at home here.

Anyways, thank you again for your information. I dug up the manual to see exactly what it says. Turns out that it goes...

POWER OUTPUT AND TOTAL HARMONIC DISTORATION:

With 8 ohm loads, both channels driven, from 20 - 20,000 Hz; rated 120 watts per channel minimum RMS power with no more than 0.05% total harmonic distortion from 250 millwatts to rated output.

So, after reading this...and please correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like the receiver puts out 120 watts per channel RMS...right? I just wanted to make sure...and if this was the case, I think that I should maybe think about using a little larger of a speaker instead.

Thanks!
Mike

BOTH channels driven? If it's supposed to be 120x7, a more realistic rating would be with ALL channels driven. It's the power supply that usually doesn't keep up. So it's still probably less than 120 in surround mode.

Just don't drive it into distortion and you'll probably be fine. If you plan on listening at very loud levels to 2 channel music however, larger main speakers might be a good idea.