Now hear this, or maybe not

wrench_peddler

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5434687

I downloaded the ring tone at the beginning of this article and played it on my system attached to my computer. My son was in the back of the house and was in bed. I couldn't hear anything so I turned it up and played it again. I thought I heard something so I turned it up and played it a couple more times. He got out of bed and came in yelling at me wanting to know what that noise was. I asked "what noise". That squealing noise. It was driving him crazy. He has a little tinnitus and the sound was beating with the tone already in his ear. We downloaded it to his cell phone and after playing it about 5 times on his phone, which I couldn't hear either, he said he had a headache and would I please not play it again. He went back to bed. So, hear it, or don't?

Doesn't say if this is the 17KHz or the 14.4KHz, but when I play it on my computer speakers I get the highest C# on the piano which is around 2000Hz, so I think that is an artifact of the signal being digital. I wouldn't think I should hear anything much over 12KHz unless it was crazy loud.

I haven't gone to kidsbegone, but it makes sense anyway. I couldn't hear it, my wife couldn't hear it, (45 and 39, respectivly) but we will certainly be running it by our 6 yr old daughter in the AM.

It may open the bigger question, how important is frequency response above 15K to us "more experienced" folk?

Or, is my Boston Acoustics three piece system hooked up to my computers sound card just not able to reproduce the sound? We'll let the daughter tell.

The highest fundamental frequencies of natural instruments tops out at a little over 4000Hz - the rest is harmonics and overtones that help define the tone and timbre of the instruments. In many three way designs, the tweeter is really only providing these overtones and harmonics.

If your high end frequency loss moved from little to moderate to severe, you might notice that the very highest pitches of some instruments would become more and more difficult to tell apart - trouble distinguishing a piccolo from a clarinet from a violin. I think FM broadcasts only go up to 12KHz.

I haven't gone to kidsbegone, but it makes sense anyway. I couldn't hear it, my wife couldn't hear it, (45 and 39, respectivly) but we will certainly be running it by our 6 yr old daughter in the AM.

It may open the bigger question, how important is frequency response above 15K to us "more experienced" folk?

Or, is my Boston Acoustics three piece system hooked up to my computers sound card just not able to reproduce the sound? We'll let the daughter tell.

This is quite interesing! I've played it on my little PeeCee setup, and I can see why kids would get annoyed by that! I am 37 years old myself, and I can hear it perfectly, but I found it to be quite annoying myself! I guess my hearing is better than I otherwise thought it was, despite six years in a field artillery unit and going to all those heavy metal shows and such!

I can see how annoying that can really be if played in a continuous loop. I guess if I hear a high-pitched squeal while out in public, I'll know what it is!

EDIT: I've watched that ABC video from the kidsbegone.com page. Although I had no problems hearing that sample mp3 ringtone, I wonder if I could hear the actual "Misquito" device.

The note is a little over 14kHz....man I had that cranked up too high. My ears were ringing a bit from a loud show tonight (10dB louder than I normally like to run it at) so I'm surprised I was able to hear it.

Do cell phones sample at a high enough frequency to support a 14kHz note? I thought they petered out around 4kHz...I'll have to ask my prof on Tuesday who has actually pioneered a lot of cell phone design.

Not that I would ever cheat on an exam, but just think of the cheating capability for those that know morse code, or some other similar communication technique.

The note is a little over 14kHz....man I had that cranked up too high. My ears were ringing a bit from a loud show tonight (10dB louder than I normally like to run it at) so I'm surprised I was able to hear it.

Do cell phones sample at a high enough frequency to support a 14kHz note? I thought they petered out around 4kHz...I'll have to ask my prof on Tuesday who has actually pioneered a lot of cell phone design.

Not that I would ever cheat on an exam, but just think of the cheating capability for those that know morse code, or some other similar communication technique.

You are a little buzzed tonight, Who - they text the questions and answers - no Morse needed. Simple as 1C 2A 3E...

Pauln AD5FT

Cool, my first double post!

You are a little buzzed tonight, Who - they text the questions and answers - no Morse needed. Simple as 1C 2A 3E...

Pauln AD5FT