Opinion: Electronic Separates vs. Efficiency

I cannot clearly state one way or the other, so I'll ask the forum faithful. The Preamp/Amplifiers I am using are rated @ .003 THD @ 1V, however, if I loop my outboard devices in TAPE 1, I can enhance the sound. Now these units are roughly rated @ .01% THD @ 1V and .1% THD ?? respectively. The 10 band EQ is primarily used most of the time, but I negate the DBX and Impulse Noise Reduction units when not playing vinyl.

There are some subtle audible differences, but my question is:

Are the benefits gained from the peripheral devices a positive trade-off, or are they a detriment due to decreased efficiencies in those separates.

Kinda curious about the responses. I must say the I find separates a much more viable option as opposed to Integrated units (no offense), but should the combined components be of equal ratings , etc.

KISS please, since you are NOT dealing with a highly-technical individual (lol)

Today there is not reason to put yourself thru the complications of seperates.

Today, an intergreated unit could mean that it has...a. pre-amp, b. equalizer, c. DAC, d. tuner, c. HT processor, d. Amp, etc. Path lenths in an integreated are short, design allows for sheilding, and economies of scale for things like power supplies, cases, etc. Ground loop issues within an integreated is unheard of, unless you have some external source attached to it.

Seperates introduce cost due to the replication of componets previously shared in an integreated, power supply, case, controls, etc. More cost introduced in cables for connectivity, and even more so if you go designer cable route. Complications get introduced with ground loops, and other issues.

There are some VERY good integrated amps/receivers out there today but nothing, IMHO, can compete with well matched set of separates. Separates give you flexibility, quality, tunablity. The very top of the hobby is always a separate based system.

Thanx, Russ

Thanks for the responses, and yes, I can lose the DBX and INR units, but my 10 band graphic EQ is definitely more effective than my parametric on the Preamp.

You've told me what I needed to know!

Yamaha C-6 Preamplifier, Yamaha M-50 Amplifier, Yamaha T-500 , B&O TX-2 w/MM2 Turntable, I like the basics.

I guess all the altering devices are not overtly negative but having heavily shielded interconnects throughout is important to reduce EMI and RFI nasties.

If you listen to much vinyl at all I would consider a tube pre.

The Bellari I have heard for a few hours once and it was quite musical.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Bellari-VP129-Tube-Phono-Preamp?category=401

Corns need tubes![;)]

Today there is not reason to put yourself thru the complications of seperates.

Today, an intergreated unit could mean that it has...a. pre-amp, b. equalizer, c. DAC, d. tuner, c. HT processor, d. Amp, etc. Path lenths in an integreated are short, design allows for sheilding, and economies of scale for things like power supplies, cases, etc. Ground loop issues within an integreated is unheard of, unless you have some external source attached to it.

Seperates introduce cost due to the replication of componets previously shared in an integreated, power supply, case, controls, etc. More cost introduced in cables for connectivity, and even more so if you go designer cable route. Complications get introduced with ground loops, and other issues.

Interesting point - I was looking at some new HT Revievers recently and I'm completely amazed at the number of connections on the back of some of these recievers with audio/video/optical digital/HDMI etc. Does this ever become a point of overkill? where when you have so many sources, outputs, inputs etc where it affects the sound and/or causes signal interference? Seems like an awful lot of stuff to shield! As much as I love surround sound there are days 2 channel tube amps become more appealing along with a chance to listen to a lot of good music more in line with how it was recorded and intended to sound other than imaged with 5.1 surround sound fields, DSP etc.

*edit* By the way - semi new to the klipsch forum, lurked for a few weeks anyhow.. : )

Best friend's dad had some Khorns, had the 2.1 comp speakers for 4 years now? Love that Klipsch sound!! I'm hoping to snag some RF62 or RF82s when the money allows... (hopefully sooner than later!)