Altec coax under CRT TV a problem?

ben.

I finally found a cheap EV Regency locally (which kept it cheap). It's loaded with the EV 3-way package, which I want to pull in favor of an Altec duplex. This is to go underneath my Zenith 36" CRT HD set. I'm concerned about the magnetic field causing problems with the TV and am wondering if anyone can confidently say either way if it will or won't be a problem.

The Regency is about 28" high, so the speaker magnets would be located no closer that 14" from the set - might be further as I think the woofer hole is offset a little low on the factory baffle. I'll see if I can hunt down a spec on the magnet strength (they're Alnico) but I think I'll probably just find gap flux.

I can try this with a POS TV first in the absence of a definitive answer, but wondering what you all might think...

Do you already own the driver, or is this something you're looking at purchasing? I would just say try it and see what happens - as long as you don't leave the magnet nearby for too long it's not going to maintain the flux on the screen.

If it does cause problems, there are a few alternatives you can try to employ - I'm sure you're familiar with bucking magnets already. My favorite trick involves this "magic" wand I have that is used in the production lines for CRT products to remove any magnetism that builds during assembly. You can put the speaker under the TV, cause the problems, and then use the want to correct it back to normal. The only problem is the second you move the speaker you need to re-wand the TV...

I guess the only thing to do is try it. My main concern is causing problems that would require a service call. I got within a foot or so of a computer monitor once with an Altec 290 and had to degauss it. The trick is that the TV is really really heavy. 36" 4:3 flats are up there.

I've had the drivers kicking around for quite a while - just been looking for something to do with them. I got the idea for one in mono under the TV from one of Brennan's posts a while ago. The Regency is just the right width for the set (maybe a skosch tall) and horn loading the back wave is fine with me. Mono HT... good times. We haven't had anything to play music other than the TV since I moved the Khorns down to the basement room, and we both miss having something decent sounding throughout the day. I asked her if she could live with two in the room, and it didn't take her to long to decline. I'll probably find a small box to use the other in the bedroom. I just need networks...